Splunk Search

How to get specified events from 2 indices.

jsven7
Communicator

SITUATION:
- I use indices "A" and "B" to come to answer the same question but for different environments.
- Each index has unique fields names but said fields represent the same data in each index.
- I want a table to answer the same question in one table using both indices.
- I'm starting with SPL similar to this:

(index=A AND  indexA_unqiue_field=x) OR (index=B AND sourcetype=v indexB_unique_field=y)
| rename indexA_unqiue_field AS field
| rename indexB_unique_field AS field
| table _time, field, index

PROBLEM:
- With the above SPL I am failing to answer the same question using the 2 indices. It appears to work fine for index B but "field" does not populate for Index A.

QUESTION:
- How do I get all fields to populate?
- Or how may I achieve the goal?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think the two renames to the same field name are causing the problem. Try coalesce, instead. It will set 'field' either indexA_unique_field or indexB_unique_field, whichever is present in the event.

(index=A AND  indexA_unqiue_field=x) OR (index=B AND sourcetype=v indexB_unique_field=y)
| eval field = coalesce(indexA_unqiue_field, indexB_unique_field)
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think the two renames to the same field name are causing the problem. Try coalesce, instead. It will set 'field' either indexA_unique_field or indexB_unique_field, whichever is present in the event.

| eval field = coalesce(indexA_unqiue_field, indexB_unique_field)
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

iainsmart
Engager
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...