Splunk Search

How to get latest time from an index's subsearch

aa70627
Communicator

When i run this query it seems to run just fine as an adhoc search but when i schedule it, it throws the following error

• [subsearch]: [subsearch]: [SERVER1] Search process did not exit cleanly, exit_code=-1, description="exited with code -1". Please look in search.log for this peer in the Job Inspector for more info.

Here's the query. The issue is definitely not space on the drive, there's plenty of space. Also, if I hard code subsearch search index=idx2 earliest=-30d@d latest=now, the scheduled search will work fine but then i would have to add some additional lines of SPL to ensure we are using only the latest pull to avoid duplicate data which takes a little longer to run as well. 

index=myindex sourcetype="mysource1" 
    [| metadata index=myindex type=sourcetypes 
    | search sourcetype="mysource1" 
    | eval earliest=relative_time(lastTime,"-1h@h") 
    | table earliest] 
| table id1 field1 field2 field3 
| join type=left field3 
    [ search index=idx2 
        [| metadata index=idx2 type=sourcetypes 
        | search sourcetype="source2" 
        | eval earliest=relative_time(lastTime,"-1h@h") 
        | table earliest] 
    | rename id as field3 
    | table field3,f4,f5,f6,f7]

Labels (3)

aa70627
Communicator

Its extensively long. most of them were ignorable based on other splunk answers. This one seems to have caught my attention. 

info : Your timerange was substituted based on your search string
info : [subsearch]: Your timerange was substituted based on your search string
warn : The limit has been reached for log messages in info.csv. 52 messages have not been written to info.csv. Refer to search.log for these messages or limits.conf to configure this limit.

i used the solution from this one and it resolved my issue. I'm not seeing the error anymore in the past 5 scheduled searches - "Search process did not exit cleanly, exit_code=-1, description="exited with code -1"." 

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/After-updating-an-app-why-am-I-getting-search-error-qu...

solution

Add a limits  $Splunk_home$/etc/app/{your_app}/local/limits.conf and add the stanza. 

[search_info]
max_infocsv_messages =1000

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What information did you find in the search log?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...