Splunk Search

How to get column from csv file to insert in search result?

Julia1231
Communicator

Hi everyone,

I use dbxquery and get this result from database:

id count
123 12
456 24
478 6

Also I have a csv file already put  in lookup of Splunk like this:

id type
123 Machine
478 Machine
456 Food
987 Food
789 Toys

Please, how can I insert the column "type" from lookup to the search result above?

Basically this is what I want to achieve:

id count type
123 12 Machine
478 6 Machine
456 24 Food
987 0 Food
789 0 Toys

I tried: |lookup lookupfile.csv id OUTPUT id type but it doesn't work

Thanks,

Julia

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Julia1231
Communicator

Hi @yuanliu @richgalloway ,

Sorry for not making it clear for the "it doesn't work". I meant nothing change in the result search.

Anw, by the end I found the reason, cause I forgot that Splunk cares the case sensitive. In the csv, I put "ID", but in splunk it's "id"

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

Julia1231
Communicator

Hi @yuanliu @richgalloway ,

Sorry for not making it clear for the "it doesn't work". I meant nothing change in the result search.

Anw, by the end I found the reason, cause I forgot that Splunk cares the case sensitive. In the csv, I put "ID", but in splunk it's "id"

Have a nice day!

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your lookup command should have worked, but try this one.

| lookup lookupfile.csv id OUTPUT type

If that doesn't produce the desired results then please show or explain the results you do get.  "it doesn't work" isn't very helpful.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I agree that "doesn't work" is not informative and should be avoided in any description.

Additionally, when you "put  in lookup of Splunk," did you make a lookup definition? (In addition to upload the CSV file.)  Did you name that definition as "lookupfile.csv" or something else? (I usually name my lookups "lookupfile" instead of "lookupfile.csv".)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...