Splunk Search

How to get a count with dedup?

tazzvon
Engager

i have the following in a statistical table on a dashboard

index=* <do search> | dedup B C | table _time B C D E F J | sort-_time

I would like to have a count at the end of each row telling how many it deduped.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Actually, dedup will give you the first event it finds in the event pipeline for each unique set of values.

This is often the same as latest because the events returned by the search are often in descending time order (but it depends on what else is in the search before the dedup).

The other thing is that _time (and other fields beginning with _) as not included in * so these should be explicitly catered for.

A more accurate way to do this might be

index=* <do search> 
| stats first(*) as * first(_time) as _time count as duplicates by B C
| table _time B C D E F J duplicates
| eval duplicates = duplicates - 1
| sort - _time

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In order to get the count of events and do dedup at the same time, you could do

index=* <do search> 
| stats latest(*) as * count as duplicates by B C 
| sort - _time

This should give you what you want - remember that dedup will normally give you the latest event from any duplicates, hence using latest(*).

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Actually, dedup will give you the first event it finds in the event pipeline for each unique set of values.

This is often the same as latest because the events returned by the search are often in descending time order (but it depends on what else is in the search before the dedup).

The other thing is that _time (and other fields beginning with _) as not included in * so these should be explicitly catered for.

A more accurate way to do this might be

index=* <do search> 
| stats first(*) as * first(_time) as _time count as duplicates by B C
| sort - _time

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Good clarification @ITWhisperer about event ordering rather than the simple _time based default

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...