Splunk Search

How to get a comma separated List

brownt61
Explorer

Hello all,

I am hoping for help creating a comma separated list.  I have tried multiple different things and all have resulted in lists, but never quite what I am needing.  

I have a list of email addresses, that I need to be listed out, comma separated so that I can automate a currently manual process of updating a DLP policy.

The list would appear as follows

input data:

Email
email1@email.com

email2@email.com

email3@email.com

email4@email.com

email5@email.com

email1124@email.com

email1125@email.com

The output list that I need comma separated needs to be displayed as follows

EmailAddress

email1@email.com,

email2@email.com,

email3@email.com,

email4@email.com,

email5@email.com,

email1124@email.com,

email1125@email.com

note that the list is comma separated however the final entry does not get a comma.  This is because Symantec DLP reconizes the comma separator as an expected new entry.  If there is no comma, the final entry is expected as the last entry. 

I have tied stats list (this worked) however, it limits the output to 100 (I have around 1500 email addresses).  I know that I could have the limits.conf increased from 100, but I would like to avoid this just do accomplish this one task.

I have also tried to string the fields to string the , however it places the comma at the end of the final value in the list.
| eval EmailAddress=Email+","
| table EmailAddress

I have also tried mvjoin which just creates a giant mv field, which would be ok, expect some of the email addresses have a - in them, which then line breaks resulting in the .csv file being sent out break and have emails not formatted correctly.

I have also tried delim with a dc and values, however it also just creates a giant mv list with commas at the end of all values including the end value.

| stats delim="," dc(Email) as EmailAddressCount, values(Email) as EmailAddress
| nomv EmailAddress
| table EmailAddress

Is there a way to create the comma separated list as requested? or is there an easier way to remove the trailing character from the LAST value?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mthomas_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To generate the source data, I used:

| makeresults count=1500
| streamstats count
| eval email="email"+count+"@email.com"
| fields - _time, count

then to combine it, it used:

| mvcombine email delim=","
| nomv email

Which results in:

email1@email.com,email2@email.com,email3@email.com,email4@email.com,email5@email.com,email6@email.com,emai....

Alternatively, you can use the following to leave the email addresses in separate  events:

| reverse 
| streamstats count
| eval email=if(count>1,email+",",email)
| fields - count
| reverse

which results in:

email1@email.com,
email2@email.com,
email3@email.com,
email4@email.com,
email1499@email.com,
email1500@email.com

Hopefully one of those does what you're after?

View solution in original post

mthomas_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To generate the source data, I used:

| makeresults count=1500
| streamstats count
| eval email="email"+count+"@email.com"
| fields - _time, count

then to combine it, it used:

| mvcombine email delim=","
| nomv email

Which results in:

email1@email.com,email2@email.com,email3@email.com,email4@email.com,email5@email.com,email6@email.com,emai....

Alternatively, you can use the following to leave the email addresses in separate  events:

| reverse 
| streamstats count
| eval email=if(count>1,email+",",email)
| fields - count
| reverse

which results in:

email1@email.com,
email2@email.com,
email3@email.com,
email4@email.com,
email1499@email.com,
email1500@email.com

Hopefully one of those does what you're after?

brownt61
Explorer

| reverse | streamstats count | eval email=if(count>1,email+",",email) | fields - count | reverse

This is exactly what I needed.  Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...