Splunk Search

How to get Splunk to evaluate numbers without a leading digit before the decimal?

DFresh4130
Path Finder

I have my apache servers' mod_status output (/server-status?auto) being pulled into Splunk with a scripted input. The CPU usage of apache is its own field in the search results as a numeric value. Problem is the apache servers use less that 1% of CPU when things are normal so the data being pulled into Splunk shows up like

• apache_cpu_usage=.078852
  • apache_cpu_usage=.03456
  • apache_cpu_usage=.11234

Whenever I run a simple search like:

sourcetype=access_combined | timechart span=1m sum(apache_cpu_used) by ServerName

I don't get any results in the visualization. Tried changing the Y axis value minimum to be .05 and still nothing. My guess is Splunk doesn't like the 0 missing before the decimal. Since the value will show up when apache uses more than 1% CPU it's correct the way it's being input. What's the best way to get Splunk to evaluate the data with missing leading digits or am I just missing something?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Test this

sourcetype=access_combined 
| eval apache_cpu_used_numeric=tonumber(apache_cpu_used)
| timechart span=1m sum(apache_cpu_used_numeric) by ServerName

If that doesn't work, it may be that the tonumber function doesn't like the missing 0. Then you can try

| eval apache_cpu_used_numeric=tonumber("0" . apache_cpu_used)

If you run these searches in Verbose mode, you should be able to see the fields and events even if the timechart doesn't work. Finally, if this solves your problem, you could create a calculated field that makes the numeric conversion for you automatically.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

Test this

| eval apache_cpu_used_numeric=tonumber(apache_cpu_used)

If that doesn't work, it may be that the tonumber function doesn't like the missing 0. Then you can try

| eval apache_cpu_used_numeric=tonumber("0" . apache_cpu_used)

If you run these searches in Verbose mode, you should be able to see the fields and events even if the timechart doesn't work. Finally, if this solves your problem, you could create a calculated field that makes the numeric conversion for you automatically.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...