Splunk Search

How to generate an API key/auth token to use for testing dashboard creation with terraform?

MuhammadMurad
Explorer

We are trying to generate an  API keys in order for Terraform to create dashboards. Anyone had idea on getting/have example on the API's keys?

Thank you.  

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That document is about creation of auth token.  Once created, you can follow Use authentication tokens to embed the token in Terraform or any other program.  In the example you give, instead of "-u {username:password}", use

-H "Authorization: <type> <token>"

(I haven't used <type> in my queries, so read the document:-)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MuhammadMurad
Explorer

Sorry if i was not clear. we are looking into automating the creation and updating of our  Splunk dashboards that requires API keys in order for Terraform to create dashboards. Was links that been shared was the correct one to follow? Below are some API keys we able to create, however not sure whether its good or not. Need your expert advise on this. Thanks in advance. 

curl -X POST -k -u {username:password} -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
"https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/http" \
--data-raw '{"name":"{hec-token-name}","index":"{index_name}","indexes":"{list_of_indexes}"}'

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That document is about creation of auth token.  Once created, you can follow Use authentication tokens to embed the token in Terraform or any other program.  In the example you give, instead of "-u {username:password}", use

-H "Authorization: <type> <token>"

(I haven't used <type> in my queries, so read the document:-)

0 Karma

MuhammadMurad
Explorer

Thank you. Yes the documents really helpful and we are exploring and testing it now. did not resolve it yet but we are in the right direction. Thanks. 

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sue what the question is.  Do you mean how to generate an API key like this one: Create authentication tokens?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...