Splunk Search

How to generate a search that will sort by a field and get aggregated data for the sorted field?

sweenj
Explorer

I have a search string.

index=data sourcetype=jobs QUEUE=myqueue| dedup JOBID | FIELDS CPU_USED, USER group by USER

Each user can run multiple jobs, so I'll have duplicate USER names in the searched event. I'll also have varied CPU for each job the USER ran.

I'd like to be able to do a search that aggregates the CPU_USED by USER. So if user1 runs 2 jobs in the time period, I can get CPU_USED from the first, job, and CPU_USED from the 2nd job, added together into an aggregate (sum) value.

Could anyone assist with this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

ID_SplunkUser
Path Finder

You can try this to count the sum of CPU_USED for each USER

index=data sourcetype=jobs QUEUE=myqueue| dedup JOBID | stats sum(CPU_USED) by USER

View solution in original post

ID_SplunkUser
Path Finder

You can try this to count the sum of CPU_USED for each USER

index=data sourcetype=jobs QUEUE=myqueue| dedup JOBID | stats sum(CPU_USED) by USER

sweenj
Explorer

That worked perfectly. Thank you!

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I belive you'll want to look here:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/SearchReference/Addcoltotals

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...