Splunk Search

How to generate a conditional search based on time?

mstark31
Path Finder

I need to figure out a way to execute one of two different search strings based on the time range in a first search.

If a sample is more than 2 weeks old, the associated lab data is stored in a summary index. [search1]
If a sample is less than 2 weeks old, the lab data will need to be live-calculated via a much more complicated search string (includes subsearch, join, dedup). [search2]

I tried to use multisearch, but since search2 contains non-streaming commands ( join & dedup), that didn't work.

Search1 and Search2 both return fields sample_name and sample_value, so not a single value. My understanding is that this prevents me from using eval/if based on _time or a time token from my search.

base search
| join sample_name
[ run either search1 or search2]
| table sample_name sample_value
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

base search
| join sample_name
[[|noop|stats count AS search | addinfo | eval search=if(info_max_time<relative_time(now(), "-14d@d"), "Search1 String Here", "Search2 String Here")]]

View solution in original post

mstark31
Path Finder

Thank you everyone for your answers.
I ended up going in a slightly different direction with my solution, but I've learned so many new things based on your collective input.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

So up-vote the useful answers and then pick the best one (or yours, this one) and click Accept to close the question.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

|noop|stats count AS search | addinfo | eval search=if(info_max_time<relative_time(now(), "-14d@d"), "Search1 String Here", "Search2 String Here") | map search="search  base search
| join sample_name [ $search$ ]
| table sample_name sample_value"
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

base search
| join sample_name
[[|noop|stats count AS search | addinfo | eval search=if(info_max_time<relative_time(now(), "-14d@d"), "Search1 String Here", "Search2 String Here")]]

mstark31
Path Finder

Are there any restrictions with using noop in a subsearch?
I tried this but got the error:
Error in 'SearchParser': Subsearches are only valid as arguments to commands. Error at position '195' of search query 'search index=...{snipped} {errorcontext = [ [|noop }'

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, see my other answer where I turn it inside out and use map instead of a nested subsearch.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Here is how I'll try

Step1) create a saved search for each of search1 and search2, full query that you want to execute on the subsearch. Just a simple saved search. Say the names are search1 and search2 itself.

Step2) update your query like this

base search
 | join sample_name
 [ | savedsearch [| gentimes start=-1 | addinfo | eval search=if((info_max_time-info_min_time)>14*86400"search1","search2") | table search ] nosubstitution=t]

The addinfo command adds the fields info_min_time and info_max_time which are the earliest and latest value of the time range that you've selected. If will run subsearch | savedsearch search1 if the selected time range is more than 2 weeks/14 days or will run | savedsearch search2 otherwise.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

The question says "more than 2 weeks old" is the criteria, so you are probably needing something like if(info_max_time <= info_search_time -14*86400,...

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@mstark31, here is one way to do it...

1) Whatever is the timerange in the first search, you can define a Time input for the same. I have used tok_time as time in my example.

<fieldset submitButton="false">
    <input type="time" token="tok_time" searchWhenChanged="true">
      <label>Select Time</label>
      <default>
        <earliest>-15m</earliest>
        <latest>now</latest>
      </default>
    </input>
  </fieldset>

2) Run a dumy search to compare selected Earliest and Latest Time and set the index/environment name as summary or realtime (ideally to be passed to a macro to set criteria of the base search etc.)

<!-- Dummy Search to set index name for main query based on time range selected -->
  <search>
    <query>| makeresults
  | eval now=_time</query>
      <earliest>$tok_time.earliest$</earliest>
      <latest>$tok_time.latest$</latest>
    <sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
    <preview>
          <!-- Compare Todays Date with Earliest Time in the Time Range and 
         if greater than 2 week (2*7*24*60*60=1209600 seconds) set Summary 
         else set Realtime index-->
          <condition match="$result.now$-$job.searchEarliestTime$>1209600">
            <set token="selectedIndex">summary</set>
          </condition>
          <condition>
            <set token="selectedIndex">realtime</set>
          </condition>
    </preview>
</search>

Finally use the $selectedIndex$ token to set index to summary. Ideally through a macro which takes string values for environment as a paramter, this we you can set other criteria for base search if you want like summary index will have sourcetype as stash.

<!-- Use $selectedIndex$ token to set index in main search-->
<search>
  <query> base search
  | join sample_name
    [ `setindex($selectedIndex$)`
      |<remaining Search> ]
  </query>
</search>

PS: One more condition you can try out is to see if Earliest and Latest time spans for more than two weeks then go for Summary Index

<condition match="$job.searchLatestTime$-$job.searchEarliestTime$>1209600">

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...