Splunk Search

How to format SPL Search Query as code ??

venkat0896
Path Finder

HI All

i am creating a dashboard in SPLUNK .. i am trying capture the API counts and response time .
here is a sample logger
|METRICS|[SERVICE]=XYZ|POST|[URI]=/a/b/c|[HTTP-STATUS-CODE]=200|[RESPONSE_TIME]=209ms"

i need it to displayed like

request total 200 400 500 avg response maximum response
a/b/c 2 1 1 0 209ms 249ms

i tried with query
source="abc"
("[SERVICE]=XYZ" "[URI]=")
| rex field=_raw " \[URI\]=(?<Request>.?)|"
| rex field=_raw " \[RESPONSE_TIME\]=(?<Time>.
?)ms"
| stats count as Total,
count(eval(searchmatch("[HTTP-STATUS-CODE]=2*"))) as "2xx Successful Requests", count(eval(searchmatch("[HTTP-STATUS-CODE]=5*"))) as "5xx Technical Errors",count(eval(searchmatch("HTTP-STATUS-CODE]=4*"))) as "4xx Request Errors", avg(Time) as "Average Response (ms)", max(Time) as "Max Response (ms)" by Request

Appreciate your Help on this ..
Thanks in Advance !!

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I couldn't get the query to work with the sample event. This query works, however.

source="abc"
| rex field=_raw "\[URI]=(?<Request>[^\|]+)" 
| rex field=_raw "\[RESPONSE_TIME]=(?<Time>\d+)ms" 
| rex "\[HTTP-STATUS-CODE]=(?<StatusCode>\d+)"
| stats count as Total,
count(eval(match(StatusCode, "2\d\d"))) as "2xx Successful Requests", count(eval(match(StatusCode, "5\d\d"))) as "5xx Technical Errors",count(eval(match(StatusCode, "4\d\d"))) as "4xx Request Errors", avg(Time) as "Average Response (ms)", max(Time) as "Max Response (ms)" by Request
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I couldn't get the query to work with the sample event. This query works, however.

source="abc"
| rex field=_raw "\[URI]=(?<Request>[^\|]+)" 
| rex field=_raw "\[RESPONSE_TIME]=(?<Time>\d+)ms" 
| rex "\[HTTP-STATUS-CODE]=(?<StatusCode>\d+)"
| stats count as Total,
count(eval(match(StatusCode, "2\d\d"))) as "2xx Successful Requests", count(eval(match(StatusCode, "5\d\d"))) as "5xx Technical Errors",count(eval(match(StatusCode, "4\d\d"))) as "4xx Request Errors", avg(Time) as "Average Response (ms)", max(Time) as "Max Response (ms)" by Request
---

venkat0896
Path Finder

Thanks @richgalloway .. it worked 🙂

0 Karma

venkat0896
Path Finder

Hi @richgalloway this is another Logging i see like
POST|/private/v1/a/b/c/d|testing234||US|xyz|xyz|||xyz|xyz|||METRICS|--|ResponseCode=200|ResponseTime=7481","origin":"rep"

in this Logging how to use the rex to get the table view

for example
Request Count Avg response time 200 response 400 response 500 response
/private/v1/a/b/c/d 1 7481 1 0 0

Thanks in Advance !!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This probably should be a new question.

| rex "\|(?<Request>[^\|]+)"
| rex "ResponseCode=(?<StatusCode>\d+)\|ResponseTime=(?<ResponseTime>\d+)"
| stats count as Total,
 count(eval(match(StatusCode, "2\d\d"))) as "200 Response", count(eval(match(StatusCode, "5\d\d"))) as "500 Response",count(eval(match(StatusCode, "4\d\d"))) as "400 Response", avg(Time) as "Average response time"
---

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Hi @venkat0896 try this:

|makeresults |eval _raw="|METRICS|[SERVICE]=XYZ|POST|[URI]=/a/b/c|[HTTP-STATUS-CODE]=200|[RESPONSE_TIME]=209ms"

|rex field=_raw "\[SERVICE\]=(?P<service>[^\|]+)\|POST\|\[URI\]=(?P<request>[^\|]+)\|\[HTTP-STATUS-CODE\]=(?P<status>\d+)\|\[RESPONSE_TIME\]=(?P<responseTime>\d+)ms"
|eventstats count(eval(like(status,"2%"))) as "200s", count(eval(like(status,"5%"))) as "500s",count(eval(like(status,"4%"))) as "400s"
|stats count(200s) as 200s count(400s) as 400s count(500s) as 500s count as total avg(responseTime) as avgResponse max(responseTime) as maxResponse by request
|table request total 200s 400s 500s avgResponse maxResponse

The first "makeresults" line above generates the test data - replace line 1 with your realy query.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

you should use the code formatter to post SPL - from the looks of it, some of your formatting has been lost

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please provide some sample events, if you can. Anonymize the data as necessary.
What results to you get from your current query?

---
0 Karma

venkat0896
Path Finder

Request Count Avg response time 200 response 400 response 500 response
a/b/c 1 1068 ms 1 0 0
x/y/z 1 900 ms 0 1 0
q/w/e 1 1300 ms 0 0 1

i am trying to monitor the service with the number of counts, response returned and the response time

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Those events are not in the format specified in your question. The rex commands will not match that data.

---
0 Karma

venkat0896
Path Finder

Yes.. can you help on this.. ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...