Splunk Search

How to form query for nested field (Json array) searching?

Austin_James
Engager

Hi 

I have a field(event_details) that contains a JSON array.

Record 1:
{"event_details":[{"product_id":"P002","price":19.99,"payment_method":"Paypal"}]}

Record 2:
{"event_details":[{"product_id":"P001","price":9.99,"payment_method":"Credit Card"},{"product_id":"P002","price":10,"payment_method":"Credit Card"}]}

Query:
source="sample_Logs.csv" host="si-i-01ab4b9a34d1f49ec.prd-p-gfp5t.splunkcloud.com" sourcetype="csv" | tojson auto(*) | spath "event_details{}.product_id" | search "event_details{}.product_id"=P002

When using the above query I got both records in the response.

But I need only those records with product_id = "P002" only and not with any other product_id in the JSON array. In this case record 1 contains only product_id as P002. I need only that record in the response.

How to form the query for it?

Austin_James_0-1675232644960.png

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Update: Have explained my query properly in the below comment.
 https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Nested-field-Json-array-searching/m-p/629097/highlight... 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's an example showing 3 and 4 returned

| makeresults 
| fields - _time
| eval _raw="event	event_details
E1	[{\"product_id\":\"P001\",\"price\":9.99,\"payment_method\":\"Credit Card\"},{\"product_id\":\"P002\",\"price\":10,\"payment_method\":\"Credit Card\"}]
E2	[{\"product_id\":\"P001\",\"price\":9.99,\"payment_method\":\"Credit Card\"},{\"product_id\":\"P002\",\"price\":10,\"payment_method\":\"Paypal\"}]
E3	[{\"product_id\":\"P002\",\"price\":19.99,\"payment_method\":\"Paypal\"}]
E4	[{\"product_id\":\"P001\",\"price\":9.99,\"payment_method\":\"Paypal\"},{\"product_id\":\"P002\",\"price\":10,\"payment_method\":\"Paypal\"}]
"
| multikv forceheader=1 
| table event event_details

``` Above sets up your example dataset ```

| tojson auto(*)
| spath event_details{}.payment_method
| eval method=mvdedup('event_details{}.payment_method')
| where method="Paypal" AND mvcount(method)=1

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk does not handle structure of json events. So you can't just select a particular part of a json structure by some of its fields. Or at least not directly.

You must first do spath to extract just the values of event_details to a multivalued field. Then you have to do mvexpand to split those values to separate events. Those events will contain separate json entities which you can treat with spath again.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Add

| where mvcount('event_details{}.product_id')=1
0 Karma

Austin_James
Engager

Hi @bowesmana 
Thanks for the response.
When adding the mvcount we are adding the criteria for the JSON array to be of length one. Which does not solve my query.
I will explain my case better with the following example:
Consider the following records:

eventevent_details
E1[{"product_id":"P001","price":9.99,"payment_method":"Credit Card"},{"product_id":"P002","price":10,"payment_method":"Credit Card"}]
E2[{"product_id":"P001","price":9.99,"payment_method":"Credit Card"},{"product_id":"P002","price":10,"payment_method":"Paypal"}]
E3[{"product_id":"P002","price":19.99,"payment_method":"Paypal"}]
E4[{"product_id":"P001","price":9.99,"payment_method":"Paypal"},{"product_id":"P002","price":10,"payment_method":"Paypal"}]

source="sample_Logs.csv" host="si-i-01ab4b9a34d1f49ec.prd-p-gfp5t.splunkcloud.com" sourcetype="csv" | tojson auto(*) | spath "event_details{}.payment_method" | where 'event_details{}.payment_method'="Paypal"

When using the above query I got 3 (E2, E3, E4) events in the response as shown in the below image.

Austin_James_0-1675238228745.png

I need to filter the events where all the purchases are done only by Paypal. So I am expecting the events E3 and E4 alone. Neglecting the event E2 since one of the purchases has been made by Credit Card.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK, so it's not where the number of elements is 1, but where ALL the values are the same. So, in that case do this

which will just remove all duplicates and them require the method match  (=Paypal) and a single variant (mvcount)

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's an example showing 3 and 4 returned

| makeresults 
| fields - _time
| eval _raw="event	event_details
E1	[{\"product_id\":\"P001\",\"price\":9.99,\"payment_method\":\"Credit Card\"},{\"product_id\":\"P002\",\"price\":10,\"payment_method\":\"Credit Card\"}]
E2	[{\"product_id\":\"P001\",\"price\":9.99,\"payment_method\":\"Credit Card\"},{\"product_id\":\"P002\",\"price\":10,\"payment_method\":\"Paypal\"}]
E3	[{\"product_id\":\"P002\",\"price\":19.99,\"payment_method\":\"Paypal\"}]
E4	[{\"product_id\":\"P001\",\"price\":9.99,\"payment_method\":\"Paypal\"},{\"product_id\":\"P002\",\"price\":10,\"payment_method\":\"Paypal\"}]
"
| multikv forceheader=1 
| table event event_details

``` Above sets up your example dataset ```

| tojson auto(*)
| spath event_details{}.payment_method

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Or you can combine the search and the where to

| where 'event_details{}.product_id'="P002" AND mvcount('event_details{}.product_id')=2
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...