Splunk Search

How to force today's date column to display if no data generated for today's date?

adnankhan5133
Communicator

I currently have the following SPL query that generates a table, and appears as follows:

Service IDResource NameTransaction NamePriorityService AreaConsumer2020-8-102020-08-092020-08-08
100GETTransaction A2ServiceArea2App1253731
200PUTTransaction B1ServiceArea2App3132214

The date columns represent today's date, as well as the previous 6 days of data. I didn't include the dates from 8/4-8/7 since would take up far too much space. The counts in the date columns represent the total count of the "Consumer" column, which captures the different application_name fields. Now, today's date column will only generate if there is at least one entry for the application_name field in the logs.

I would like to modify the query logic to force today's date column to generate even when there is a zero count for transactions associated to the application_name field. This would allow for today's date column to generate at 12AM PST (midnight). At that time, there would probably be no transactions, so I would like Splunk to return a value of "NULL" rather than a blank value or "0".

Based on the below existing logic, can someone provide some guidance on how the below query should be updated to force the 'today' column (i.e. 2020-08-10 in the above example) to generate at midnight rather than at a time dependent on the application_name (Consumer) transaction having at least one entry?

So, for example, by tomorrow midnight (2020-8-11), I would expect to see the following assuming that no application transactions occur at midnight.

Service IDResource NameTransaction NamePriorityService AreaConsumer2020-08-112020-08-102020-08-09
100GETTransaction A2ServiceArea2App1NULL2537
200PUTTransaction B1ServiceArea2App3NULL1322

Current SPL:

index=new_idx_1 sourcetype=file_level_data

| eval epoch_Timestamp=strptime(Timestamp, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3QZ")-14400

| rename "Transaction Name" as trans_name, "Application Name" as application_name, "File Status" as file_status

| eval service_id=case(Verb="GET" AND trans_name="Transaction A" AND application_name="App1", "ServiceID1", Verb="GET" AND trans_name="Transaction B" AND application_name="App3", "ServiceID2", Verb="PUT" AND trans_name="Transaction B" AND application_name="App3", "ServiceID3", 1=1, "Unqualified")

| where service_id!="Unqualified"

| eval Priority=case(Verb="GET" AND trans_name="Transaction A" AND application_name="App1", "2", Verb="GET" AND trans_name="Transaction B" AND application_name="App3", "2", Verb="PUT" AND trans_name="Transaction B" AND application_name="App3", "1", 1=1, "Unqualified")

| where Priority!="Unqualified"

| eval service_area=case(Verb="GET" AND trans_name="Transaction A" AND application_name="App1", "ServiceArea1", Verb="GET" AND trans_name="Transaction B" AND application_name="App3", "ServiceArea2", Verb="PUT" AND trans_name="Transaction B" AND application_name="App3", "ServiceArea2", 1=1, "Unqualified")

| where service_area!="Unqualified"

| eval date_reference=strftime(epoch_Timestamp, "%Y-%m-%d")

| stats count(eval(file_status)) as count by service_id, Verb, trans_name, Priority, service_area, application_name, date_reference

| eval combined=service_id."@".Verb."@".trans_name."@".Priority."@".service_area."@".application_name."@"

| xyseries combined date_reference count

| rex field=combined "^(?<service_id>[^\@]+)\@(?<Verb>[^\@]+)\@(?<trans_name>[^\@]+)\@(?<Priority>[^\@]+)\@(?<service_area>[^\@]+)\@(?<application_name>[^\@]+)\@$"

| fillnull value="0"

| table service_id, Verb, trans_name, Priority, service_area, application_name, *-*-31, *-*-30, *-*-29, *-*-28, *-*-27, *-*-26, *-*-25, *-*-24, *-*-23, *-*-22, *-*-21, *-*-20, *-*-19, *-*-18, *-*-17, *-*-16, *-*-15, *-*-14, *-*-13, *-*-12, *-*-11, *-*-10, *-*-09, *-*-08, *-*-07, *-*-06, *-*-05, *-*-04, *-*-03, *-*-02, *-*-01

| rename service_id as "Service ID", Verb as "Resource Name", trans_name as "Transaction Name", Priority as "Priority", service_area as "Service Area", application_name as "Consumer"

Labels (3)
0 Karma

adnankhan5133
Communicator

Any ideas, anyone?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...