Splunk Search

How to find the most recent event for a user preceding some other event

MatMeredith
Path Finder

I have a set of user activity logs, each of which identifies an event-type and a user-id. One possible event-type is "Exception" and when a user hits an "Exception" I want to know what other event type most commonly precedes it for the user. Specifically I'd like a table that shows me how often the most recent previous event is X, Y, Z etc.

I'm struggling to see how to do this. Can anyone help please?

Many thanks!

Tags (1)

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use streamstats to append the previous event to the current event, and then use that to build your table.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this:

... | streamstats current=f window=1 last(eventtype) as other_eventtype by userid
0 Karma

MatMeredith
Path Finder

Thanks for the answer, but could you offer any more detail please as I'm still not clear how I would do that? E.g. suppose in a very simple example I have

• userid 1, eventtype A
  • userid 2, eventtype B
  • userid 1, eventtype "Exception"
  • userid 1, eventtype C
  • userid 1, eventtype "Exception"
  • userid 2, eventtype "Exception"

Here I'd want to see that 1/3 of the time the preceding event was A, 1/3 of the time it was B and 1/3 of the time it was C...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...