Splunk Search

How to find further documentation on the defect numbers and issues listed on the Known Issues page?

t82921389
Explorer

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues shows many defects/issues listed with each SPL followed by a 5 digit number. Is there documentation on these somewhere? I search for them on the site and come up with nothing. The known issues page is the only place I see them listed. If there's more information regarding these defects, would it be possible to link the SPL-##### to that information?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is not any additional published information on the known issues. The defect numbers in the known issues list are provided to make it easier for Support to coordinate communication with engineering in response to customer questions. If you think you are encountering problems due to a specific defect, you should open a support case using the support portal (log in on the Splunk Customer Support page). The support engineer can investigate further for you, and add your relevant information from your case to the defect record.

View solution in original post

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is not any additional published information on the known issues. The defect numbers in the known issues list are provided to make it easier for Support to coordinate communication with engineering in response to customer questions. If you think you are encountering problems due to a specific defect, you should open a support case using the support portal (log in on the Splunk Customer Support page). The support engineer can investigate further for you, and add your relevant information from your case to the defect record.

t82921389
Explorer

Okay thank you, that helps - so these provide no benefit to users unless they're working directly with a support engineer, is that correct? In other words, that data is not for the end user?
What I was looking for was a record of defects that are resolved in newer versions, without going through every single version and looking for it. Since the defects have numbers associated with them, it would be simple and beneficial to have a page where users can go and see the status of the defect. This would also save support costs for Splunk because users wouldn't have to contact them to know if/when a defect has been fixed.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The list gives you an easier way to check against the fixed problems (changelog) for a new release. But you are correct: Splunk does not at this time have a web portal where customers can look up defect numbers to find out their status.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

I'll add that it's extremely rare to see otherwise, except for open source projects. Sometimes you do see a portal where customers can submit bugs and enhancements; connect.Microsoft.com comes to mind. But it's necessarily a separate system from their internal trackers for logistical, legal, and other reasons.

But it's still a neat idea for which I can see value for customers.

0 Karma

t82921389
Explorer

ppablo_splunk, I see you edited my question - did you have a comment/answer?

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @t8291389

I'm the content manager for Splunk Answers so my main role is to edit posts to make titles, content and tags easily searchable for other users with the same or similar questions. So rather than users having to click on each post if the titles are too broad, I usually make edits to provide extra details so it's easier to filter through hundreds (if not thousands) of questions with similar content.

There are also users that follow certain tags here on Answers. I tag things appropriately so the right subject matter experts will get notified and will hopefully chime in on the post. Glad you got some good feedback from Chris and Hal below.

PS - don't forget to accept the answer below by clicking "Accept" directly below the answer. This will resolve the post and make it easier to find by users with the same interest. Also, both you and and the user that answers the question get karma points.

Cheers!

Patrick

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...