Splunk Search

How to find events that haven't happened in a given amount of time?

atebysandwich
Path Finder

I'm looking over vulnerability scan data and have the _time field formatted as 

| eval Last_Scanned = strftime(time, "%F")

How can I created a search to show hosts(events) that have not been scanned within two weeks of the current date?

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rut
Path Finder

Grouping by host and then filtering using relative_time should work. This only leaves you the date and host though, so maybe you'll want to add some fields to the stats command.

| stats max(_time) as Last_Scanned by host
| where Last_Scanned<relative_time(now(), "-2w")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends whether you can find those hosts by expanding your time range. If you can, just find max(_time) by host and check if it falls within needed range. If you can't, you must have a static list of hosts to compare events in your index with. You can't find something if it's not there.

0 Karma

rut
Path Finder

Grouping by host and then filtering using relative_time should work. This only leaves you the date and host though, so maybe you'll want to add some fields to the stats command.

| stats max(_time) as Last_Scanned by host
| where Last_Scanned<relative_time(now(), "-2w")

0 Karma

atebysandwich
Path Finder

I ad to do some tweaking to make some of it work. when I did

| stats max(Last_Scanned) by IP

I got all the IPs and their last scan time. However, when I did the second line, no results were found. 

It should be noted that earlier in the search _time was specified as time 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can't do max() on non-numerical field. When you did your strftime() you lost the ability to calculate/compare timestamps.

0 Karma

rut
Path Finder

OK, so are you adding the lines on _time or your formatted time? In your original question you added the following line:

| eval Last_Scanned = strftime(time, "%F")

%F = Equivalent to %Y-%m-%d (the ISO 8601 date format).

The command max and the comparison with relative_time are expecting a timestamp, not formatted time. So you can either use the original timestamp or use strptime to transform it back.

See the following docs for more information.

strptime:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/DateandTimeFunctions#strptime.28...

relative_time:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/DateandTimeFunctions#relative_ti...

Formats:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/SearchReference/Commontimeformatvariables#Time_va...

0 Karma

atebysandwich
Path Finder

I removed strftime and moved a lookup after the searches you mentioned and it worked. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...