Splunk Search

How to extract field names against values in one (or more field)?

gordone
Explorer

Hi guys,

Looking for help framing a query for the following scenario:

index=index  "designated field"

Events show the that there are multiple values for the field  (these are log message types):

Type1 

Type2

Type3

TypeN

Want to enumerate all of the fields that are associated with each: designated_field.TypeN (i.e. each log message type has sub-fields associated with each log message type.)

So for Type1:

Field1_Type1

Field2_Type1

Field3_Type1

for Type2:

Field1_Type1

Field2_Type2

etc.

======================================

So I am imagining my query goes like this:

index=index1 designated_field

| <enumerate each of the values in designated_field>

| <pull our the field names for each of the values that were enumerated>

| <form a table with a column listing the values and then a second column showing all of the field names associated with each value>

Labels (3)
0 Karma

gordone
Explorer

Hi ITWhisperer,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I had thought I had responded to this, but it seems the forum ate my reply.

Mock Output:

Time                                  Designated_Field                                                                Sub-Field Name

21:21                                  01 - Logon                                                                             User

Host

Domain

21:22                                02 - Logoff                                                                                User

Host

Domain

21:23                                    04 - IP Address Assigned                                                 Host

Domain

NS Server

IP Type

NOTE: Designated_Field is a field, whose values are extracted and displayed per event, in the third column are the sub-field names associated with the values in the second column.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure I understand the ask here - please can you share some realistic events and a representation of your expected output. Please include the events in a code block </> to preserve the formatting of the events.

0 Karma

gordone
Explorer

Hi ITWhisperer,

Thanks for engaging my question. 

Reponse:

----------------------------------

Time                                     |         Designated_Field                                      |      Sub-Field

21:23                                              01 - Logon                                                           User

Host

Logon Domain

21:25                                                 02 - Logoff                                                         User

Host

Logon Domain

________________________________________________________________________________

So note that (01 - Logon, 02 - Logoff) are the values in the field: Designated_FieldBy contrast, (User, Host, Logon Domain) are field names  (like Designated_Field).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...