Splunk Search

How to extract field by different field values in nested JSON?

letmein
Engager

I have some JSON (raw event) like below, this is one event:

{

"place": "bar",

"stock": [

{

"brand": keith

"type": drink

"owner": Tom

}

{

"brand": qfarm

"type": food

"owner": Mike

}

{

"brand": blue

"type": drink

"owner": Jerry

}

{

"brand": redriver

"type": food

"owner": Don

}

]

}

System already extracted field “place”, “brand”, “type”, “owner”. What I would like is to extract “brand” into new field “brand_drink” or “brand_food” depends on “type” is drink or food. And do the same for “owner”. In this example, there’s 4 items under “stock”, there’s other events have more or less which might have to use loop.  

Been struggling with this. Can someone help please?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Note my search does not contain a table command that restricts output to stock{} and stock{}.* as your screenshot shows.  If you must use table at this time, use this instead:

| table place brand owner type

Alternatively, you can examine all available fields by using | table *. (Usually you only want to use table when you are displaying your final results.)

Another suggestion: Show the commands you tried in text.  Screenshot is good at illustrating some effects, but bad at conveying code change.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you anonymize data, please make sure the data format is intact.  Specifically, the illustrated data is not conformant to JSON.  This makes it very difficult for volunteers to help.  If original data is conformant, it should look like this instead:

{

"place": "bar",

"stock": [

{

"brand": "keith",

"type": "drink",

"owner": "Tom"

},

{

"brand": "qfarm",

"type": "food",

"owner": "Mike"

},

{

"brand": "blue",

"type": "drink",

"owner": "Jerry"

},

{

"brand": "redriver",

"type": "food",

"owner": "Don"

}

]

}

With this out of the way, you can use path option in spath.  You said that the system already flattened JSON nodes.  But what you need is in the vector (array) node of stock{}.  So, extract this node into its own field, then use mvexpand to make the field single-valued, then extract from this field.

| spath path=stock{}
| mvexpand stock{}
| spath input=stock{}

After this, your sample data gives

brandownertype
keithTomdrink
qfarmMikefood
blueJerrydrink
redriverDonfood

This is the most semantic to your dataset if not to your described output, and to me, the most meaningful way to meet your requirement. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

letmein
Engager

Sorry for the data format issue. I don't have proper JSON editor install on my computer.

So without any changes, if I search "index=test | table stock{}.*", I got this:

letmein_0-1680298893174.png

If I try the search you suggested, I got this. What should I do next to extract brand and owner by type? 

letmein_1-1680299090823.png

Tags (2)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Note my search does not contain a table command that restricts output to stock{} and stock{}.* as your screenshot shows.  If you must use table at this time, use this instead:

| table place brand owner type

Alternatively, you can examine all available fields by using | table *. (Usually you only want to use table when you are displaying your final results.)

Another suggestion: Show the commands you tried in text.  Screenshot is good at illustrating some effects, but bad at conveying code change.

0 Karma

letmein
Engager

@gcusello thanks for you reply. spath will group all values into one field, such as "stock{}.brank" field contain "keith", "qfarm", "blue", "redriver".  This has been done by system automatically due to JSON source type.  What I need is if stock{}.type=drink, put stock{}.brand value into new field "brand_drink"; if stock{}.type=food, put stock{}.brand value into new field "brand_food".

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @letmein,

I'd use spath and some calculated field (using eval) like the following:

<your_search>
| spath 
| eval 
   brand_drink=if(stock{}.type="drink",stock{}.brand,""),
   brand_food=if(stock{}.type="drink",stock{}.brand,"")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

letmein
Engager

This returns nothing, as stock{}.type has multivalve "drink" and "food".   stock{}.type doesn't equal drink or food. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @letmein,

did you trued to use the spath command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/SearchReference/Spath), it extract all fields with the correct grouping.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...