Splunk Search

How to extract field as time in ms after occurrence of a string

ashvini_mishra
Explorer

Here is a log example - 

{"log_time":"2021-08-27T07:16:46.178275260+00:00","output":"stdout","log":"2021-08-27 07:16:46.178 [INFO ] [her-49] a.a.ActorSystemImpl - Logged Request:HttpMethod(POST):http://id-test.api-gateway.sit.ls.api.com/repos/hrn:idmrepo-sit::ol:idm_team_internal_test/ids/getOrCreate/bulk?streaming=true&dscid=GvaIrM-cb4005f6-a828-4fd7-9f54-6082e2912716:200 OK:4","k8scluster":"borg-dev-1-aws-west-1","namespace":"*","env":"DEV","app_time":"","time":"1630048606.178275260"}

I need to extract the digits after "OK:" (here highlighted in red color) as time in ms. 
I am just started using splunk. I am trying this - 

rex "([^\:]+$)(?P<duration>.+)" | stats exactperc98(duration) as P98 avg(duration) as AVG by log

But this is not working.

Labels (4)
Tags (4)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Given that you appear to have a field name 'log' already, which is the data from your JSON example, then if that's the field you need to extract duration from, then 

| rex field=log "OK:(?<duration>\d+)"

Note that if the encapsulated log didn't result in a 200 OK response, then of course this will not work

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's always best if you have the whole event parsed so you don't accidentaly hit some unexpected string occurrence in other part of the event. But anyway, it should be quite simple

| rex "OK:(?<duration>\d+)\"" | <<your stats>>
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...