Splunk Search

How to extract a very long field with special characters?

hulahoop
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am trying to extract a field with 2 distinct problems:

1. The field length can often creep above 498 characters. This is where Splunk fails to complete the field extraction (maybe because of a PCRE recursion limit).
  2. The field values are somewhat tricky as they are surrounded by quotes and include double quotes (to escape single quotes).

In psuedo speak, here is an example event:

"JOB_NEW" "pretend this is the ""very"" long field with more than 498 chars" "next field" "more fields"

The regex to solve #1: ... | rex "^\"JOB_NEW\" \"(?<lsfcommand>([^\"]*)\")"

The regex to solve #2: ... | rex "^\"JOB_NEW\" \"(?<lsfcommand>(\"\"|[^\"])*)\""

Can you help find a regex to solve both #1 and #2?

I've included a data sample below which I believe captures both problems. So if we can find a regex that works for all 3 events then we're golden.

=== props.conf ===

[regextest]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT

=== data sample (3 events) ===

"JOB_NEW" "siliconsmart -x ""set sis_stage libgen"" scripts/sis_runme.tcl" 0 "" "default" 32987 1 "LINUX64" "" "" "" "" 2104336 0 "" "" "/prj/abcdef/lsfgbcspool/x" -1 -1 -1 "default" 0 "" "" -1 "" 0 -1
"JOB_NEW" "/prj/abc/def-sys/bolt/users/fooo/KalmanRegressionTip/tip100173/wiltsim/tools/../../library/lsf_tools/lsf_jobname_wait.pl stressTest_iceqbe.pl.b68c83ae\* /prj/abc/lte-sys/bolt/users/fooo/KalmanRegressionTip/tip100173//wiltsim/tools/regress_finalize.pl -m xluo /prj/abc/lte-sys/bolt/users/fooo/KalmanRegressionTip/tip100173//regression/logs/log_stressTest_iceqbe.pl.20130829.013458.report.log fooo fooo" 0 "" "11644" 1 "LINUX64" "" "" "" "" 2098192 0 "" "" "/prj/abcdef/lsfgbcspool/x" -1 -1 -1 "default" 0 "" "" -1 "" 0 -1
"JOB_NEW" "/prj/abc/lte-sys/bolt/users/fooo/KalmanRegressionTip/tip100173/wiltsim/tools/../../library/lsf_tools/lsf_jobname_wait.pl stressTest_iceqbe.pl.b68c83ae.1.autosim_define\* /prj/abc/lte-sys/bolt/users/fooo/KalmanRegressionTip/tip100173//run/performance/ICEQBE/_SingleCellKalmanStressTests/_compare2reference.pl -cltv -metric PDSCH_INFO_UEID_1 ThroughputMbps 0.06 /prj/abc/lte-sys/bolt/users/fooo/KalmanRegressionTip/tip100173//regression/logs/log_stressTest_iceqbe.pl.20130829.013458.report.log fooo fooo" 0 "" "11644" 1 "LINUX64" "" "" "" "" 2098192 0 "" "" "/prj/abcdef/lsfgbcspool/x" -1 -1 -1 "default" 0 "" "" -1 "" 0 -1
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hulahoop
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To answer my own question. 😉

Here's the regex that fixed it all:

... | rex "^\"JOB_NEW\" \"(?<lsfcommand>(?:\"\"|[^\"])*+)\""

I needed to use the non-capturing capture group (thank you jonuwz) and a lazy/possessive quantifier. Not sure why it works, but happy that it does.

So it was found that these quantifiers worked:

... | rex "^\"JOB_NEW\" \"(?<lsfcommand>(?:\"\"|[^\"])*?)\""

... | rex "^\"JOB_NEW\" \"(?<lsfcommand>(?:\"\"|[^\"])+?)\""

View solution in original post

hulahoop
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To answer my own question. 😉

Here's the regex that fixed it all:

I needed to use the non-capturing capture group (thank you jonuwz) and a lazy/possessive quantifier. Not sure why it works, but happy that it does.

So it was found that these quantifiers worked:

... | rex "^\"JOB_NEW\" \"(?<lsfcommand>(?:\"\"|[^\"])*?)\""

... | rex "^\"JOB_NEW\" \"(?<lsfcommand>(?:\"\"|[^\"])+?)\""

jonuwz
Influencer
0 Karma

hulahoop
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think I found something that works, but not entirely sure why it works. If I change the quantifier * to be possessive *+, then I seem to be able to get past the character limitation. Aaah, I love regex, but regex does not love me. 🙂

0 Karma

hulahoop
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thank you jonuwz. The 2nd regex does work for both only when the field is less than 498 chars long. It exceeds some kind of PCRE limit and fails. I tried your non-capturing suggestion and it also fails on the event with 498+ chars. 😞

0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

So, the 2nd regex should work for both yes ?

If the problem is the number of capture groups - and there's be hundreds with (\"\"|[^\"])*) , just make that bit none capturing i.e. :

... | rex "^\"JOB_NEW\" \"(?<lsfcommand>(?:\"\"|[^\"])*)\""
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...