Splunk Search

How to extract a seconday date/time?

Stefanie
Builder

I have a scripted input created to monitor certificate expiration.

An example event:

Tue Jul 27 12:07:55 CDT 2021,/opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem,notAfter=Nov 29 16:58:08 2023 GMT

Splunk ingests the data using the first timestamp (Tue Jul 27 12:07:55 CDT 2021). Which is not a problem.

I am wanting Splunk to recognize the portion after 'notAfter=' as a second date to where I can sort based upon month, day, and year in order to report when a certificate is nearing expiration.

I have a regular field extraction to include the expiration date in a table, but sorting it only sorts by the first letter of the month.

Is it possible for Splunk to recognize a secondary date/timestamp? Possibly though a regex?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Stefanie
Builder

Thanks for your help.

I couldn't get it to work using the command you mentioned, but it sent me in the right direction 🙂

Here's what I had to use.

|eval epoch=strptime(expDate,"%b %d %H:%M:%S %Y") 
|eval certExp=strftime(epoch,"%Y %m %d")
|sort certExp

The first line got me the epoch time, and then the second line formats the dates to sort my results correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You would need to parse the time string into an epoch date (number of seconds since the start of 1970)

| eval epoch_expiry=strptime(string_expiry, "%c")
0 Karma

Stefanie
Builder

Thanks for your help.

I couldn't get it to work using the command you mentioned, but it sent me in the right direction 🙂

Here's what I had to use.

|eval epoch=strptime(expDate,"%b %d %H:%M:%S %Y") 
|eval certExp=strftime(epoch,"%Y %m %d")
|sort certExp

The first line got me the epoch time, and then the second line formats the dates to sort my results correctly.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
And after you have sorted by it you could remove it fields - or use table or fields x,y,z…
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...