Splunk Search

How to extract a field from an escaped string inside a nested JSON

z0r0
Engager

I'm looking for help in extracting "allowedSourceAddressPrefix" field/value from a JSON. This field is an escaped JSON string inside a nested JSON. Following is the JSON tree

- properties (extracted by splunk)

- /subscription/..../.../ (dynamic field)

- ports (escaped json)

- allowedSourceAddressPrefix (nested json)

The allowedSourceAddressPrefix takes values of single ipaddress (or) multiple ip addresses (or) *.

I have tried various rex patterns but failed in extracting the required field, Any help is appreciated. Following is the JSON that has the required field

properties: {
"User": "johndoe@contoso.com",
"/subscriptions/3483b2ca-02cf-4ff6-92af-99326c8fac7f/resourceGroups/apple-dev/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/gjappledev": "{\"id\":\"/subscriptions/3483b2ca-02cf-4ff6-92af-99326c8fac7f/resourceGroups/apple-dev/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/gjappledev\",\"ports\":[{\"number\":3389,\"allowedSourceAddressPrefix\":\"*\",\"endTimeUtc\":\"2022-03-21T1:50:39.1599446Z\"}]}",
"Justification": null
}

TIA

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex "allowedSourceAddressPrefix\\\\\":\\\\\"(?<allowedSourceAddressPrefix>.*?)\\\\\""

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex "allowedSourceAddressPrefix\\\\\":\\\\\"(?<allowedSourceAddressPrefix>.*?)\\\\\""
0 Karma

z0r0
Engager

@ITWhisperer , the mistake I was doing is using | rex field=properties, your command worked for the actual data too. Thanks @ITWhisperer 

0 Karma

z0r0
Engager

Thanks @ITWhisperer , but seems like I'm missing something to apply this when trying on actual data. The rex you've shared is working on makeresults(testing pattern). Can you pls correct me?

I'm trying this command

index=test_ms* "operationName.localizedValue"="Initiate JIT Network Access Policy" "eventName.localizedValue"="JIT network access request initiate started"
| rex field=properties "allowedSourceAddressPrefix\\\":\\\"(?<allowedSourceAddressPrefix>.*?)\\\""
| table allowedSourceAddressPrefix

And here's a sample data entry (actual raw data)

{
  "channels": "Operation",
  "eventName": {
    "value": "JIT network access request initiate started",
    "localizedValue": "JIT network access request initiate started"
  },
  "eventSource": {
    "value": "Security",
    "localizedValue": "Security"
  },
  "id": "/subscriptions/3483b2ca-02cf-4ff6-92af-99326c8fac7f/resourceGroups/apple-dev/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/gjappledev/events/04xxxxab-5ecc-46b0-abfa-6aacb1f550ac/ticks/63783455299xxxxxx3",
  "level": "Informational",
  "resourceGroupName": "apple-dev",
  "resourceProviderName": {
    "value": "Microsoft.Compute",
    "localizedValue": "Microsoft.Compute"
  },
  "resourceUri": "/subscriptions/3483b2ca-02cf-4ff6-92af-99326c8fac7f/resourceGroups/apple-dev/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/gjappledev",
  "operationName": {
    "value": "Microsoft.Security/locations/jitNetworkAccessPolicies/initiate/action",
    "localizedValue": "Initiate JIT Network Access Policy"
  },
  "properties": {
    "User": "johndoe@contoso.com",
    "/subscriptions/3483b2ca-02cf-4ff6-92af-99326c8fac7f/resourceGroups/apple-dev/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/gjappledev": "{\"id\":\"/subscriptions/3483b2ca-02cf-4ff6-92af-99326c8fac7f/resourceGroups/apple-dev/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/gjappledev\",\"ports\":[{\"number\":3389,\"allowedSourceAddressPrefix\":\"*\",\"endTimeUtc\":\"2022-03-21T1:50:39.1599446Z\"}]}",
    "Justification": null
  },
  "status": {
    "value": "Accepted",
    "localizedValue": "Accepted"
  },
  "subStatus": {
    "value": null
  },
  "eventTimestamp": "2022-03-21T1:50:39.1599446Z",
  "submissionTimestamp": "2022-03-21T1:50:39.1599446Z",
  "subscriptionId": "3483b2ca-02cf-4ff6-92af-99326c8fac7f"
}

Thanks Again

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't have enough backslashes - you need 3 sets of 5 (like I showed in my example) - SPL requires an extra level of escaping for backslashes above what is required by regex101.com for example.

0 Karma

z0r0
Engager

@ITWhisperer , just checked on regex101.com, the rex with three slashes works for the raw data i shared

the rex string i gave in regex101.com is 
/allowedSourceAddressPrefix\\\":\\\"(?<allowedSourceAddressPrefix>.*?)\\\"/gm

for the raw data i shared and it was able to match and get the desired value.

0 Karma

z0r0
Engager

@ITWhisperer , Oh, you meant more than regex101, still unable to get results with 5 slashes. Am I missing something when translating the command from makeresults example to the actual data(any formatting stuff)?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...