Splunk Search

How to export search results into a text file using search

mbasharat
Builder

Hi,

I am exploring some options for exporting data into text file from Splunk. I have a scheduled saved search which produces results like below in statistical table format. I need this to be written to a .txt file. Results written need to be appended to existing txt file.

count      index      sourcetype                      time                                               results 

0                   A                      B               04/05/2022 00:00:00         Success exceeds Failures 

Thanks in-advance!!!!!!

Labels (4)
0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion
0 Karma

mbasharat
Builder

I tried but thats for raw. I tried using it for stats table and it did not generate anything in specified directory.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

you would need to format the output

<your search>
| table count index sourcetype time results 
| eval _raw = mvzip(mvzip(mvzip(mvzip(count, index, " "), sourcetype, " "),time, " "),results, " ")
| outputtext usexml=false | rename _xml as raw | fields raw | fields - _* | outputcsv append=t results.txt
0 Karma

mbasharat
Builder

Quick Q. The file frim savedsearch will be written on SH correct? We have SH cluster. Also, can path be defined at SPL level? Thanks.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

I do not think you can change the path explicitly in SPL

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/How-to-change-the-location-a-saved-search-outputs-a-...

however, you can write cron jobs to move the file on OS level.

0 Karma

mbasharat
Builder

Understood. Testing it for output. Will update shortly. Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...