Splunk Search

How to expand multivalue fields after using streamstats command?

like2splunk
Explorer

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to expand multivalue fields after using the streamstats command.
I have an event called "Set Range" that happens frequently and sometimes there is an error after this event happens.
Occasionally there are multiple errors following a "Set Range" event.
There is useful information that I want to extract from the "Set Range" event and correlate to the respective error(s).
My search is below in ITALICS:

index="logs" process=beamCommonProcess
"Transitioned to Error State" OR "SET_RANGE activity requested for beam supply point" OR "DISABLE_BEAM activity is complete" OR "ENABLE_BEAM activity requested" OR "beam allocated to" OR "beam deallocated from"
| reverse
| streamstats count(eval(searchmatch("SET_RANGE activity requested for beam supply point"))) AS SessionID
| stats min(_time) AS _time count(eval(searchmatch("Transitioned to Error State"))) AS error_count count(eval(searchmatch("Beam allocated to"))) AS endbeam_count list(_raw) AS _raw BY SessionID
| search error_count>0
| rex "RCU Error: .
?Submap: \d+\s*((?.?):"
| eval output = if(output="Device","Device Overrange",output)
| table _time SessionID rcu_msg

An example of the subsequent results is in the screenshot below (also attached):
alt text

As you can see, in some cases there are multiple "rcu_msg" events for the same SessionID.
What I want is to expand such message groups into individual line items.
In other words, instead of 6 lines with some groups as shown in the screenshot, I want 9 individual lines each correlated to their respective SessionID. Thereafter I'm going to REX the useful information, but I can't do so until the multivalue fields are expanded.
I tried mvexpand _raw but this did not do anything.

PLEASE HELP!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gfuente
Motivator

Hello

You need to use the mvexpand command, but using the rcu_msg field, example:

... | mvexpand rcu_msg | ...

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@like2splunk... if you perform field extraction for rcu_msg ideally through Field Extraction Knowledge Object or in your example using rex command, you ca use the same in stats directly

<Your Base Search>
|<Your rex command for rcu_msg>
| stats min(_time) AS _time count(eval(searchmatch("Transitioned to Error State"))) AS error_count count(eval(searchmatch("Beam allocated to"))) AS endbeam_count list(_raw) AS _raw BY SessionID, rcu_msg
| table _time SessionID rcu_msg

gfuente
Motivator

Hello

You need to use the mvexpand command, but using the rcu_msg field, example:

... | mvexpand rcu_msg | ...

Regards

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

you'd want to use |fillnull rcu_msg value="N/A" first, though, I believe for that blank row.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...