Splunk Search

How to exclude sub folders

socdtv

Hi All

I would like to monitor "4670: Permissions on an object were changed".

I have the following query:

index=wineventlog sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" "EventCode=4670" "Object_Name"!= "."
| search [inputlookup xxxxxx.csv]
| Table _time EventCode Account_Name "Object_Type" "Object_Name"
| rename EventCode AS "Event", "Account_Name" AS "User", "Object_Type" AS "Object", "Object_Name" AS "Folder"

In the results I get the root folder and all it subfolders.

How can I exclude the subfolders from the results so I just get the root folder?

Regards

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

Hello soctv,
the field "Object_Name" contains the path with all folders, here i used eval split and mvindex to extract it. there are other ways like | rex command for example.
here is my search based on your search and a screenshot:

index=wineventlog sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" "EventCode=4670" "Object_Name"!= "." 
| head
| eval dirs=split(Object_Name ,"\\")
| eval root_dir= mvindex(dirs, 1)
| table _time EventCode Account_Name "Object_Type" "root_dir"

alt text

hope it helps

View solution in original post

adonio
Ultra Champion

Hello soctv,
the field "Object_Name" contains the path with all folders, here i used eval split and mvindex to extract it. there are other ways like | rex command for example.
here is my search based on your search and a screenshot:

| head
| eval dirs=split(Object_Name ,"\\")
| eval root_dir= mvindex(dirs, 1)
| table _time EventCode Account_Name "Object_Type" "root_dir"

alt text

hope it helps

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...