Splunk Search

How to exclude notable events from triggering using erex?

mdicenzo
Explorer

We have notable events for when a user is created on multiple devices. Most of them are expected for when devices are imaged. 

I want to use erex to create a suppression for like accounts. They typically have the same beginning and are followed by 2 numbers. Example would ituser23, ituser24, ituser25. 

I am using the search below for testing

index=notable source="Endpoint - Anomalous User Account Creation - Rule" | erex user examples="ituser23, ituser24, ituser25" 

I am still getting user accounts that are unrelated such as phone or tablet.

When I look at the recommended regex it seems like it is not being granular enough.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Skip erex and go directly to the regex command.  This query will filter out users with names consisting of "ituser" followed by 2 digits.

index=notable source="Endpoint - Anomalous User Account Creation - Rule" 
| regex user!="^ituser\d\d$"

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Skip erex and go directly to the regex command.  This query will filter out users with names consisting of "ituser" followed by 2 digits.

index=notable source="Endpoint - Anomalous User Account Creation - Rule" 
| regex user!="^ituser\d\d$"

---

mdicenzo
Explorer

This is eventually how I did this. Thank you for the help!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...