Splunk Search

How to escape \x0a in rex?

nevdull

Hi.

I have an XML file where, for some reason, some control characters were printed as ascii strings, \x0a being a great example. I can use makemv split="\x0a" and get a nice splitting of based on that newline character, but I've been trying to use rex and capture variable to split the record into named fields I can use in stats. Rex, however, doesn't seem to respect any way I try to represent the literal \x0a. I have tried \\x0a and just x0a, but it seems rex must be interpreting it as a newline, even though its not represented that way in the raw record. Cause it won't extract anything into the fields I'm trying to make, but if I use something like (?.*)\s+ I get some data in my field1, but not the data I want, cause I don't want to split on " " I want to split on \x0a.

My _raw record looks something like

Data: somevalue\x0aData2 date-string\x0aData3 some-string with spaces\x0aData4

so the most consistent want to split it would be the \x0a and not some other combination of things.

Thanks!

0 Karma

nabeel652
Builder

Use sed command to replace unwanted \x0a with a space or any character you want:

--SomeSearch--| eval data = "somevalue\x0aData2 date-string\x0aData3 some-string with spaces\x0aData4" | rex field=data mode=sed "s/(\\x0a)/ /g"| table data

You can also use sedcmd in props.conf to automatically apply this to your data.

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's a lesson I learned a long time ago when using Splunk against embedded backslashes. When in doubt, just add more escaping backslashes.

Witness the following vision of loveliness:

| makeresults | eval BigString="somevalue\x0aData2 date-string\x0aData3 some-string with spaces\x0aData4" 
| rex field=BigString "\\\x0a(?<myCapture>[^\\\]*)\\\x0a"

The first line is just me making a run-anywhere example, creating a field called BigString for me to use later.

The second is my rex with capture group. That returns a field "myCapture" = "Data2 date-string". You obviously can extend the above as many captures as you'd want, just split them out with \\\x0a.

Happy Splunking!
Rich

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh, I don't think you can makemv with a delim that's not a single character. But the above rex will take care of the problem usually.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...