Splunk Search

How to enable Search Assistant for all users on a Search Head Cluster?

JDukeSplunk
Builder

I would like to enable to search assistant on my Search Head Cluster. The documentation recommends an edit to the file user-prefs.conf.spec.in. (Is this a bad idea?)

Described here:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Search/Usingthesearchassistant#Change_the_default...

However, this file (user-prefs.conf.spec.in) does not exist in ../local or ../default.

splunk@atlitpspsh2:/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/local> ls -lha
total 280K
drwx------  3 splunk splunk 4.0K Jan 26 15:14 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 splunk splunk 4.0K Dec 19 11:24 ..
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk  657 Sep 29 15:26 collections.conf
drwx------  4 splunk splunk 4.0K Mar  7  2016 data
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk  105 Jul 27  2016 datamodels.conf
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk  138 Aug 12 16:40 eventtypes.conf
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk    0 Sep 15  2015 inputs.conf
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk 8.5K Dec 15 10:50 props.conf
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk 167K Jan 26 15:14 savedsearches.conf
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk  11K Aug 19 11:34 tags.conf
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk  901 Sep 30 10:21 transforms.conf
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk  49K Oct 22  2015 viewstates.conf
-rw-------  1 splunk splunk    0 Dec 16 13:57 workflow_actions.conf

Can one simply find the spec file for this and add it to the search heads one at a time? If so, should it keep that name, or be renamed to user-prefs.conf?

-Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

arkadyz1
Builder

I believe you should copy user-prefs.conf.spec from etc/system/README as etc/<yourapp>/local/user-prefs.conf and edit that one. So you do change the name to the usual user-prefs.conf. The file name user-prefs.conf.spec.in in the docs seems to be a typo.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

arkadyz1
Builder

I believe you should copy user-prefs.conf.spec from etc/system/README as etc/<yourapp>/local/user-prefs.conf and edit that one. So you do change the name to the usual user-prefs.conf. The file name user-prefs.conf.spec.in in the docs seems to be a typo.

0 Karma

JDukeSplunk
Builder

I'll get back to you as to whether or not this worked.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...