Splunk Search

How to edit my search to show percentage instead of count on chart count?

sidekix24
Path Finder

Looking to switch the output from count to percentages on the search below. For example, they a looking to chart what percent of "cart API calls" are timeouts.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make that happen?

Thanks in advance

| eval group=case(costTime < 1,1,costTime < 2,2,costTime < 5,5,costTime < 10,10,costTime < 15,15,costTime < 20, 20,costTime < 25, 25,costTime < 28, 28,costTime >=28, "Timeout") | eval RequestFormat=case(Request like "%catalog%", "Catalog Service Calls",Request like "%inventory%","Inventory Service Calls", Request like "%price%", "Price Service Calls", Request="order/calculation","Order API - Order Calc", Request="order", "Order API - Submit Order",Request="order/estimatePayment", "Order API - Estimate Payment", Request like "profile%", "Profile API Calls", Request like "cart%", "Cart API Calls", Request like "%", Request) | chart count by RequestFormat group
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcato
Contributor

Hi sidekix24,

You could use the addtotals command to give you row totals and then a foreach command to to iterate over each field to calculate a percentage value. Here's an untested example of what I mean.

...|chart count by RequestFormat group |addtotals |foreach 1 2 5 10 15 20 25 28 timeout [ eval <<FIELD>=round(('<<FIELD>>'/Total)*100, 1) . "%" ]

Hope this helps.

UPDATE: fixed untested example.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcato
Contributor

Hi sidekix24,

You could use the addtotals command to give you row totals and then a foreach command to to iterate over each field to calculate a percentage value. Here's an untested example of what I mean.

...|chart count by RequestFormat group |addtotals |foreach 1 2 5 10 15 20 25 28 timeout [ eval <<FIELD>=round(('<<FIELD>>'/Total)*100, 1) . "%" ]

Hope this helps.

UPDATE: fixed untested example.

0 Karma

sidekix24
Path Finder

Thanks gcato,

That gets us halfway there. We now have the totals column at the end but still not showing percentages. Any ideas on what adjustments to make to the search? Sorry...this is a little over my head in regards to splunk 🙂

Thanks again for the assistance.

0 Karma

gcato
Contributor

There was some small mistakes in the 'foreach' command - the 'total' should be Total' and the <> value needs single quotes. Here's a run anywhere example:

|stats count as 1 | eval 1=25 |eval 5=50 |addtotals |foreach 1 5 [ eval <<FIELD>>_PERC=round(('<<FIELD>>'/Total)*100, 1) . "%" ]
0 Karma

sidekix24
Path Finder

That looks to have done it!!! Thanks for the help!!

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Glad you found a solution 🙂 Don't forget to accept Answers that solved your questions by clicking "Accept" directly below the answer to resolve the post. Also, if someone was helpful, please make sure to upvote their answer by clicking the up arrow to the left of the answer. To upvote a comment, hover your cursor over the comment and click the up arrow. I already accepted the answer for you, but @gcato deserves some karma points for solving your question ;D

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...