Splunk Search

How to edit my search to show a line of an average over the last 30 days on a column graph?

SecureIA
Path Finder

Hi helpful people,

I wish to display on a column graph an average line for my search. My current search is as follows:-

host=CATSG14 "INTGWAUTH" AND "Failed login" earliest=-30d@d latest=now | timechart span=1d count

Is there anyway to show an average bar on the graph? Any help will be truly appreciated.

1 Solution

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, there are lots of ways. A simple way would be to use trendline:

host=CATSG14 "INTGWAUTH" AND "Failed login" earliest=-30d@d latest=now 
| timechart span=1h count
| trendline sma5(count) as 5hour_average

You can change the 5 of sma5 to something else, e.g. a 24 hour average with | trendline sma24(count)

Docs for trendline can be found here.

View solution in original post

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, there are lots of ways. A simple way would be to use trendline:

host=CATSG14 "INTGWAUTH" AND "Failed login" earliest=-30d@d latest=now 
| timechart span=1h count
| trendline sma5(count) as 5hour_average

You can change the 5 of sma5 to something else, e.g. a 24 hour average with | trendline sma24(count)

Docs for trendline can be found here.

SecureIA
Path Finder

thanks for your reply aljohnson!! I tried this, however I simply get another bar instead of a trendline 😕

0 Karma

SecureIA
Path Finder

Thanks alot guys, I managed this 🙂

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You would have to select the overlay option to set the new field as overlay field. See here

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1/Viz/Chartcontrols#Chart_overlay_example_.28dual_axis...

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...