Splunk Search

How to edit my search to calculate the time difference between two events?

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Hello Splunk'all,

I am trying to derive a simple chart from the data I got here within a Splunk Index. The data consists of epoch time (field name is "transactiontime") and the transaction values. The transactions contains success and failures and every transaction has an epoch timestamp for the transaction occurred.
I am simply trying to create a graph with the data for the time between every failure. For example: in a day, if there are two failures, one at 3 AM and one at 8 PM, I am trying to create a graph and show the time between these two failures (which is 17 Hrs). SO I took some help from a colleague of mine and got to this stage (please see below) and I am able to take two transactions into one field, but the time difference between those epoch values of two transactions are showing wrong.
Please see the search below and let me know for any missing logic I need to incorporate here:

index="dynatrace" transactionname="*"
sort _time| 
search tpf > 0 |
eval cvtime=strftime(transactiontime/1000, "%H:%M:%S %d-%m-%Y") |
transaction host maxevents=2 |
eval mdiff=round(duration)|
table mdiff,cvtime,ttime

Thanks
Vikram Y

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

*UPDATED*

index=dynatrace "failed events" transactioname=* |  stats earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end by host transactionname | eval duration=tostring(round(end-start, 0), "duration")

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

*UPDATED*

index=dynatrace "failed events" transactioname=* |  stats earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end by host transactionname | eval duration=tostring(round(end-start, 0), "duration")

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Actually I forgot to notice this before:
eval delta=tostring(_time-prevtime, "duration") is not outputting any value.. Looking more into it.

Thanks
Vikram Yerneni

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this runanywhere sample

index=_internal | streamstats window=1 current=f earliest(_time) as nextTime by host sourcetype | eval duration=nextTime-_time | table _time nextTime duration
0 Karma

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Hey Sundar, I was off for last two days. Let me validate it and will get back to you.
Thanks man..

0 Karma

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Hi Sundar,

Yes the "runanywhere sample" worked with output (Duration as "0"). However the earlier query you provided actually is not providing output to eval delta=tostring(_time-prevtime, "duration") |. I do see the logic here taking the previous provided time and subtracting it from _time (current time) which will give the time in between these two events.
Not sure why I did multiple combinations but still its not outputting it.

Any thoughts here..?

Thanks
Vikram Y

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try the updated search..

0 Karma

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Same response Sundar. Still its showing "Delta" field with blank values. I cant upload a screenshot to this ticket yet as I dont have enough Karma points..

Thanks
Vikram Y

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

What do you get when you run this

index=dynatrace "failed events" | reverse | streamstats window=1 current=f earliest(_time) as prevTime by host transactionname | table host transactionname  _time prevTIme
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Lets try a different approach

0 Karma

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Now it worked.. "Reverse" made differnece.. Plus one thing I noticed is the query is Case-sensitive.. Atleast now I am getting right data into the Statistics page..
Let me validate the data and will get back to you soon Sundar..
Thanks man..

sundareshr
Legend

Awesome. Once validated, please accept/upvote the answer

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

@vikramyerneni, just add fillnull value=0 delta that will fill null values with 0, in your case, the first row

0 Karma

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Alright the data looks good.
One last point I noticed here is the logic provided here will take the first _time and subtracts from the next one and because of that the first column in the result the "delta" output is blank which dosen't make the visualization graphs a blank.
Is there a way to remove this first line from the output or fill it with "0" for any blank values?
Let me know sir..

Thanks
Vikram Yerneni

0 Karma

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Absolutely sir.. will do..
Thanks again dude..

0 Karma

vikramyerneni
Explorer

Hi sundar,
I do see your logic here. You took the "_time" and calculated the output based on the parameter we need ("failed events"in this case). I am getting the full list individually now in the output. Thats really good..
I am actually trying to achieve to get the time difference between two individual events and put them into the Visualization in Splunk.

Thanks
Vikram Y

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...