Splunk Search

How to edit my search to calculate the error ratio by a certain field?

Hung_Nguyen
Path Finder

My website has multiple widgets owned by various team and hosted on various CDN. I want to see the error rate by widget. I came up with this Splunk search

index=tto*  Type=ERROR Message="Widget load failed" | stats count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors by widgetId

The table shows up as

Widget ID | count
WidgetA   |  45
WidgetB   |  90

I would like to modify it so that I would get the error rate (errors/total users), so it would look like this

Widget ID | count
WidgetA   |  1%
WidgetB   |  2%

I modified the search to count the total number of user

index=tto*  (sourcetype=access method=GET uri_path="index.htm") OR (Type=ERROR Message="Widget load failed") | stats count(eval(uri_path="index.htm")) as UsersCount, count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors 

however, I don't know how I can calculate the error rate. would love some advice. thank you

0 Karma
1 Solution

nmohammed
Contributor

hi Hung_Nguyen,

I think this should do it -

index=tto* (sourcetype=access method=GET uri_path="index.htm") OR (Type=ERROR Message="Widget load failed") | stats count(eval(uri_path="index.htm")) as UsersCount, count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors | eval ratio = round((errors/UsersCount)*100, 2) | table widgetId, ratio

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

try -

index=tto* (sourcetype=access method=GET uri_path="index.htm") OR (Type=ERROR Message="Widget load failed") 
| stats count(eval(uri_path="index.htm")) as UsersCount, count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors by widgetId
| eval ratio = round((errors/UsersCount)*100, 2) 
| table widgetId, UsersCount, errors, ratio
0 Karma

Hung_Nguyen
Path Finder

Hi Dal, the UserCount is 0 when I put in the "by widgetId" string but it would compute correctly without it.

0 Karma

nmohammed
Contributor

hi Hung_Nguyen,

I think this should do it -

index=tto* (sourcetype=access method=GET uri_path="index.htm") OR (Type=ERROR Message="Widget load failed") | stats count(eval(uri_path="index.htm")) as UsersCount, count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors | eval ratio = round((errors/UsersCount)*100, 2) | table widgetId, ratio

0 Karma

Hung_Nguyen
Path Finder

Hi Mason,

I get a table like one below. where I only see 1 row and the widgetId column is empty, and I should see 3 rows. thanks

widgetId | ratio

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

That wasn't mine. 😉 Did you try the one I posted?

0 Karma

Hung_Nguyen
Path Finder

sorry Mason misread the name. I tried yours but I just get this table

Success | Failures | ratio
202019 | 267 | 0.13

I think I need to add the "By wigdetId" part

count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors by widgetId but if I add that it doesn't work as well

0 Karma

nmohammed
Contributor

in which field are you capturing the widgetId or "Widget ID"?

you were able to produce results using the widgetId field using your first query right ?
index=tto* Type=ERROR Message="Widget load failed" | stats count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors by widgetId

The table shows up as
Widget ID | count
WidgetA | 45
WidgetB | 90

can you try this ?

index=tto* (sourcetype=access method=GET uri_path="index.htm") OR (Type=ERROR Message="Widget load failed") | stats count(eval(uri_path="index.htm")) as UsersCount, count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors | eval ratio = round((errors/UsersCount)*100, 2) | table "Widget ID", ratio

0 Karma

Hung_Nguyen
Path Finder

Hi mohammed, yes the first query produced the right table, your query produces a table like one below. where I only see 1 row and the widgetId column is empty, and I should see 3 rows.

Success | Failures | ratio
202019 | 267 | 0.13

"Widget ID" and widgetId are the same. sorry typo

0 Karma

nmohammed
Contributor

hi Hung_Nguyen ,

in which field are you capturing the widgetId or "Widget ID"?

0 Karma

Hung_Nguyen
Path Finder

they are the same. I just rename widgetId to "Widget ID" for display purpose

0 Karma

nmohammed
Contributor

can you paste sample data ?

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

You can use eval to calculate the percentage:

index=tto* (sourcetype=access method=GET uri_path="index.htm") OR (Type=ERROR Message="Widget load failed") | stats count(eval(uri_path="index.htm")) as UsersCount, count(eval(Type="ERROR")) as errors | eval error_rate_perc=round(errors/UsersCount*100)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...