Splunk Search

How to display procedures that don't have events as failures?

SteveChai427
Engager

Hello good people of the splunk community. I'm fairly new to splunk so sorry if this is a newb question. 

I have a search that retrieves only events with certain field values in the Procedure_Name or Process_Name fields, groups them by our scheduling cycle, and displays which procedures/processes failed (indicated by activity code not being 2000): 

(index=app host=myhost sourcetype=mysourcetype) OR (index=myindex source=mysource) earliest=-1w@w latest=now 
| where Process_Name IN ("Process1","Process2","Process3"..."Process26") 
OR
Procedure_Name IN ("Procedure1","Procedure2","Procedure3"..."Procedure26")) 
| fields Procedure_Name,Process_Name,Activity_Code, UpdatedDate
| eval Procedure_Name=coalesce(Process_Name, Procedure_Name)
| eval update = strptime( UpdatedDate, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval Day = relative_time(update,"@d") - if((tonumber(strftime(update, "%H%M")) < 1400),  (24*60*60), 0)
| dedup Procedure_Name Day
| stats count(eval(Activity_Code = "2000")) as Success_Count, values(eval(if(Activity_Code !="2000", Procedure_Name,null()))) as Failures, values(Procedure_Name) as AllProcedures, values(UpdatedDate) as UpdatedDate,  count as Procedure_Count by Day
| eval Success_Percent = round(((Success_Count/Procedure_Count)*100),2)
| sort - Day
| eval Day = strftime(Day, "%F")
| table Day, Success_Count, Procedure_Count, Success_Percent, Failures, AllProcedures,UpdatedDate

The process and procedure lists I'm checking for are actually identical, so Process1 is the same as Procedure1, Process6=Procedure6, etc. 

However I want to account for procedures/processes that failed to run at all since we consider that a failure too. But because they didn't run there are no events for them. Is there some way to compare my list of procedures/processes that should be there to the list that's actually there(AllProcedures) and add the difference to my failures list or another list like "FailedToRun"? 

Labels (5)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Finding something that is not there is not Splunk's strong suit.  See this blog entry for a good write-up on it.

https://www.duanewaddle.com/proving-a-negative/

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

schilds427
Explorer

Hello, I'm the same person but I had to get a new account. My lookup table is up and I am able to pull data from it. It's arranged like this: 

1.0 Procedures2.0_A_Procedures2.0_B_PRocedures3.0_Procedures
*various procedures**various procedures**various procedures**various procedures*

My different searches are only concerned with one column each. So the search above is only concerned with the 1.0_Procedures column but other searches use the other columns. I want to add the events that are absent from splunk but present in the lookup table to the failures field. So something like: 

values(eval(if(Activity_Code !="2000" OR Procedure_Name NOT [|inputlookup chubDashboardProcedures.csv | fields 1.0_Procedures | rename 1.0_Procedures as search|format "" "(" "" ")" "OR" ""], Procedure_Name,null()))) as Failures

Except I get a quote/parenthesis mismatch error with that. Is there any way to do that? 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try using the format command without arguments - the extra parentheses shouldn't affect the results.  If that doesn't work, try " " instead of "".

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

SteveChai427
Engager

I'll try what's in that article and see if that does the trick. I had a feeling I'd need to do a lookup table but I don't have permissions to make one so it's a little cumbersome. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...