Splunk Search

How to display Y axis as HH:MM duration instead of seconds in timechart

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have race data for a regular monthly race, where race time is given as elapsed time in the format MM:SS, e.g. 42:56
I am trying to chart a person's performance each month with

timechart max(RaceTime) 

However, the Y-axis shows the race time in seconds. I have been trying to get the Y axis in minutes, but it's not clear what's going on.

Splunk tells me that my RaceTime field isnum(RaceTime) is false,
Using | eval RT=tostring(RaceTime, "duration") does not give me any plots on the chart as RT is null because RaceTime is a string already.

I tried this.

| rex field=RaceTime "(?<Minutes>[0-9]*):(?<Seconds>[0-9]*)"
| eval Duration=Minutes*60+Seconds
| eval f=tostring(Duration, "duration")
| timechart max(f)

Using max(Duration) and max(f) show the same chart, i.e. with seconds, although the field f has the event values like 00:42:56.

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

If you are ok with slightly unconventional gaps between 59th sec and the next full minute u can actually try to do minutes+sec/100 and plot that. That's only if you need max and assuming seconds automatically will never go above 59 in your sample data. Averages might be a pain and will need some tweaking then. But below will work for just the max's and min's.

yourSearch to get fields person, minute and second
| eval newField=minute+second/100
| timechart max(newField) by  person

Let's hope someone gets a better solution of making the y series a modulo 60 to detect min:sec.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...