Splunk Search

How to define field alias on extracted fields?

sabaKhadivi
Path Finder

I extracted some fields from raw log , and I want to define field alias for them , but on specific field which is used in other indexes and has field alias ,the alias doesn't work .

0 Karma
1 Solution

PowerPacked
Builder

Hi

If you extracted those fields by eval, its not gonna work as there is a sequence in search time operations. - field alias comes before eval ( calculated fields)

Please take a look at this sequence of search time operation, which means every search ran in UI go through these operations in order.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/Knowledge/Searchtimeoperationssequence

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PowerPacked
Builder

Hi

If you extracted those fields by eval, its not gonna work as there is a sequence in search time operations. - field alias comes before eval ( calculated fields)

Please take a look at this sequence of search time operation, which means every search ran in UI go through these operations in order.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/Knowledge/Searchtimeoperationssequence

Thanks

0 Karma

sabaKhadivi
Path Finder

Thanks for your answer, but I use inline extraction which is in the firest sequnece , that field alias work on some indexes and don't work on the others.

0 Karma

PowerPacked
Builder

Does that means you have Extract-classname in props of searchhead for above extracted fields?

Thanks

0 Karma

sabaKhadivi
Path Finder

yes exactly, the problem is solved ,it was related to host::* whitch cause conflict with other configuration by TAs. when I restrict host ,it just work!!!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The field alias is set at sourcetype/source/host level. Where have you setup your field alias and did you use correct sourcetype/source/host?

0 Karma

sabaKhadivi
Path Finder

I setted it up from field bar , and I default it based on host .

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...