Splunk Search

How to define a transaction search based on different start and end formats?

psteja
Engager

I am a Splunk newbie at beginner level. Trying to use transactions to get the length of duration of a given user session, and other analysis there of.

The session start entry (single Splunk entry with three lines) looks like:

TIMESTAMP New Session
ID:RANDOMSESSIONID
Session ready

The session end entry (single Splunk entry with two lines) looks like:

TIMESTAMP Session destroyed
Destroyed session ID MATCHINGRANDOMSESSIONID

I am not sure how my transaction definition in Splunk should look like. Any help appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

I would suggest adding a maxevents count, just to keep the transaction command quick.

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed" maxevents=2 | table ID duration

Now, if you are interested in looking at transactions that didn't get destroyed, you need to keepevicted

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed" maxevents=2 keepevicted=t | where closed_txn=0

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

I would suggest adding a maxevents count, just to keep the transaction command quick.

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed" maxevents=2 | table ID duration

Now, if you are interested in looking at transactions that didn't get destroyed, you need to keepevicted

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed" maxevents=2 keepevicted=t | where closed_txn=0

psteja
Engager

um. How do I extract ID ? The end session line is actually like "Destroyed session ID isRAMDOMSESSIONID". Note the 'is' and no space after it.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this. I've updated my original query to include this

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" 
0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

i generally try to avoid transaction, however, you could try something like this:

...|rex field=_raw is(?<ID>.*)|transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed"
0 Karma

psteja
Engager

Unfortunately this didn't work. Seemed to match the session start with a different session end. Possibly because of the different session formats. For a 8 minute session, the duration is being shown as 11k plus, implying its using a different unrelated session end for duration calculation.

0 Karma

psteja
Engager

Thank you! I wasn't sure how to extract ID because the start session format is different from end session format. So looks like we can grab extract it from either place.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...