Splunk Search

How to define a transaction search based on different start and end formats?

psteja
Engager

I am a Splunk newbie at beginner level. Trying to use transactions to get the length of duration of a given user session, and other analysis there of.

The session start entry (single Splunk entry with three lines) looks like:

TIMESTAMP New Session
ID:RANDOMSESSIONID
Session ready

The session end entry (single Splunk entry with two lines) looks like:

TIMESTAMP Session destroyed
Destroyed session ID MATCHINGRANDOMSESSIONID

I am not sure how my transaction definition in Splunk should look like. Any help appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

I would suggest adding a maxevents count, just to keep the transaction command quick.

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed" maxevents=2 | table ID duration

Now, if you are interested in looking at transactions that didn't get destroyed, you need to keepevicted

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed" maxevents=2 keepevicted=t | where closed_txn=0

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

I would suggest adding a maxevents count, just to keep the transaction command quick.

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed" maxevents=2 | table ID duration

Now, if you are interested in looking at transactions that didn't get destroyed, you need to keepevicted

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed" maxevents=2 keepevicted=t | where closed_txn=0

psteja
Engager

um. How do I extract ID ? The end session line is actually like "Destroyed session ID isRAMDOMSESSIONID". Note the 'is' and no space after it.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this. I've updated my original query to include this

... | rex "ID:(?<ID>[^\s]+)" | rex "Destroyed session ID is(?<ID>[^\s]+)" 
0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

i generally try to avoid transaction, however, you could try something like this:

...|rex field=_raw is(?<ID>.*)|transaction ID startswith="ready" endswith="destroyed"
0 Karma

psteja
Engager

Unfortunately this didn't work. Seemed to match the session start with a different session end. Possibly because of the different session formats. For a 8 minute session, the duration is being shown as 11k plus, implying its using a different unrelated session end for duration calculation.

0 Karma

psteja
Engager

Thank you! I wasn't sure how to extract ID because the start session format is different from end session format. So looks like we can grab extract it from either place.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...