Splunk Search

How to dedup non-overlapping fields in separate sources?

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have two different sources with different fields.  Let's call them sourcetypeA and sourcetypeB.  Some fields that I wanted to dedup do not overlap.  Let's say sfieldA only exists in sourcetypeA, sfieldB only exists in sourcetypeB.  My intention is to have a single search (without append) to return events from both sources that contain unique sfieldA in sourcetypeA and unique sfieldB in sourcetypeB.

I was initially surprised that the following returned no event:

sourcetype = sourcetypeA OR sourcetype = sourcetype B
| dedup sfieldA sfieldB

Then, I realized that this is to ask for dedup on nonexistent keys.  My question is, then: Is there a syntax to express my intent?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The method requires creating a common field.

| eval sfield = coalesce(sfieldA, sfieldB)
| dedup sfield

The coalesce function sets sfield to whichever field of sfieldA and sfieldB exists in the current event.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The method requires creating a common field.

| eval sfield = coalesce(sfieldA, sfieldB)
| dedup sfield

The coalesce function sets sfield to whichever field of sfieldA and sfieldB exists in the current event.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...