Splunk Search

How to deal with missing data while trying a self join to compare each result with the immediate preceding result?

asherman
Path Finder

Hi,

I am trying to self join some data so that I can compare every result with the immediate preceding result. E.g.:

Data for days 1,2,3,4,5,6 - compare day 1 to day 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc.

I can do this simply by using:

| rename field1 as oldfield | eval field1=old_field+1, and then self-joining along "field1"

However, how can I do this if I am missing data and want to still provide consistent results? E.g.:

Data for 1,2,3,5,6 - compare 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 5, etc.

With the method I provide above, I will lose the comparison of 3 to 5 since there is no '4' value to join with.

Is there some function that can map my data to the largest value that is smaller than it?

• I.e., f(n)=The largest m such that m<n and both m and n are contained in the same field.

Alternative approaches are, of course, welcome.

My query, for reference:

index=official voltage=900 temp=100
| join [search index=official voltage=900 temp=100
         | rename build as last_build 
             | eval build=last_build+1 
         | rename val as old_val 
         | fields name, path, build, old_val]
| eval val_trend=val/old_val | chart avg(val_trend) as "Trend" over build by block

Data sample:

build=1,name=name1,block=block1,path=A1,voltage=900,temp=100,val=32.33
build=2,name=name1,block=block1,path=A1,voltage=900,temp=100,val=32.53

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

ramdaspr
Contributor
.. | sort build | delta val as Difference

the delta command can provide the difference between result rows as a new field.
The above code will provide you a difference between build 2 and 1 as a new row called Difference and you can eval it to create a percentage or whatever you like.

View solution in original post

ramdaspr
Contributor
.. | sort build | delta val as Difference

the delta command can provide the difference between result rows as a new field.
The above code will provide you a difference between build 2 and 1 as a new row called Difference and you can eval it to create a percentage or whatever you like.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...