Splunk Search

How to create summary index to track count of records per index, per sourcetype, per day?

bworrellZP
Communicator

Our auditors asked a question, that caused the need to know how many records we log, per device, per sourcetype, per day.

To run the search each day would be killer on the search heads and indexers, based on our volume. So it was suggested that we create and populate a summary index, and then run searches, and perhaps a dashboard, from there.

This search gives me the output I need.

index=*  | eval date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | stats count by host index  sourcetype date  | table host, index, sourcetype, date, count |sort index, sourcetype

How would I convert this to a summary index, where I could get something like this as an output. Allowing me to search by server, sourcetype, index, or date.

host         index         sourcetype                date       count
Server001   app1_iis        iis                     5/8/2017    13671
Server001   app2_iis        iis                     5/8/2017    448838
Server001   app3_iis        iis                     5/8/2017    24
Server001   app4_iis        iis                     5/8/2017    35890
Server001   windows      WinRegistry                5/8/2017    2314924
Server001   wineventlog  WinEventLog:Security       5/8/2017    75489

Using Splunk Enterprise 6.5.1

Thank you in advance

0 Karma

akocak
Contributor

Before the process, you can get rid of sort part since you could sort it in summary index data.
1) save this search as report
2) go to settings> Searchs, reports and alerts and find the one you have just saved and open configuration for that search
3) in the list:
a) set search, earliest, latest and check the box, "Schedule this search". Note that, if your time window for the search depends on how much data you want to summarize, such that, if you are looking for daily summaries, do 1 hour window, if it is monthly, do 1 day window and schedule your search daily etc..
b) Go to bottom of the configuration , and check, "Enable" for summary indexing. As a standart, summary indexes has naming summary_. Feel free to create your new index. You could also add fields if you have other searches that will feed the same summary index. You can group it by using this field you have added(such that: reportedSearch = Server01_applogs etc..)
c) click save

when your search runs at scheduled time for the first time, first data-set will be moved to your summary index. Please also note that, if you want to load initially big time window then smaller windows, get your first search to look for month or for all data. However, time window needs to be updated as soon as first schedule finishes. otherwise you would have duplicate events in your summary index.
hope this helps, documentation is here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.0/Knowledge/Usesummaryindexing

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Are you really sure it would kill your environment if you use tstats? This is the thing it rocks at.

| tstats count by host index sourcetype _time span=1d | eval date=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | table host, index, sourcetype, date, count |sort index, sourcetype

0 Karma

bworrellZP
Communicator

Ugh, could not reply in Edge, had to jump to another browser.

With the Tstats, I get indexes like _audit, that I do not want. Any way to exclude those in a tstats? (using index!=_audit did not work)

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use like this

| tstats count WHERE index=* by host index sourcetype _time span=1d 
0 Karma

bworrellZP
Communicator

Awesome, thank you,

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Or better use tstat's query above in the summary index search. You can just save this search, schedule it to run daily (setup a cron for flexible schedule) and select summary indexing as action (there will be a checkbox at the bottom when you view it from Settings->Searches., reports and alerts).

bworrellZP
Communicator

I can try tstats. If I was asked to compare daily volumes, monthly, and year over year, would this still be the best way, versus some type of summary? We are averaging 7 billion events a week, at 70 gig daily average.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...