Splunk Search

How to create "for cycle" routine to generate panels/rows from a search using Splunk XML?

Path Finder

Hi.
I would like to know if there is a simple way, via Splunk XML, to create a "for cycle" like routine, to generate panels or rows from a simple SPL search.

A simple example,

1. I have a lookup my_hosts.csv with a list of hosts (host1 host2 host3)
  2. In a normal way, if I want to make one panel per each host, I need to enter XML code (or make via UI ok) and create every panel manually where, inside, I put my search (ex. search ... host=host1 "critical" | stats count) (x3)
  3. I would like to automatically generate those panels, from a simple |inputlookup my_hosts.csv,
    with one single for cycle way, something like this:

for myhost in "| inputlookup my_hosts.csv"; do <---------------
    panel
    single
    title $myhost$ /title
    search
    search ... host=$myhost$ "critical" | stats count
    /search
    /single
    /panel
    done <---------------

Is there a way?
Thanks.

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Simple XML has no looping constructs.

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Path Finder

Simple XML has no looping constructs.

Thanks.

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@verbal_666 if you want to have dynamic single values for each host in the lookup, please try the Trellis Layout feature and confirm. Following is the Splunk Documentation

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/VisualizationTrellis

You will find several examples on Splunk Answers if you search for Trellis Single Value.

Path Finder

I surely yet tried the trellis function. I'm not really sure i can apply, inside the trellis, a real layout format, like creating a real PANEL or ROW, since trellis create a single PANEL and formats it as a single search (with page layout with scrolling buttons "< >") splitting each search by a field in a single panel.

I really wanted to create a for cycle in XML, i think it's necessary to convert in html/js the dashboard and work inside it, as a real developer.

Thanks anyway.

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@verbal_666 the one panel per host is table or any chart? Can you elaborate? If they are chart you can definitely try Trellis layout!

Path Finder

I read you, before. Sorry, for no anwser, but trellis resolved partially my "issue". Read next.
Thanks anyway.

0 Karma