Splunk Search

How to create eval to divide counts by auditType?

Megz
Explorer

Hi - I am a relatively novice Splunk user.

I am looking at implict vs explicit audit events and looking to do a calculation based on a count of these two events. I was trying to write an eval but wasn't getting anywhere

This is my search (redacted)

| multisearch
[| search auditSource=SOURCE auditType=TYPE 1 | regex tags.path=PATH ]
[| search auditSource=SOURCE auditType=TYPE2]
| stats dc(SESSIONS) as Total by auditType

So, now I have a count of the sessions in both audit types, where unique sessions in TYPE1 are journey starts, and unique sessions in TYPE2 are completions.

I want to calculate the completion rate so essentially what I need is the distinct session count in TYPE1 divided by the distinct session count in TYPE2.

p.s. I should note the audit sources for both are the same, and there are no other unique fields I can use instead.

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| multisearch
| stats dc(eval(if('auditType'="TYPE1",'SESSIONS',null()))) as Starts dc(eval(if('auditType'="TYPE2",'SESSIONS',null()))) as Ends
| eval PercentCompletion=round(Ends*100/Starts,2)

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

| multisearch
| stats dc(eval(if(auditType="TYPE1",SESSIONS,null()))) as Starts dc(eval(if(auditType="TYPE2",SESSIONS,null()))) as Ends by auditType
0 Karma

Megz
Explorer

Hi Somesoni

I've plugged that in but I get the following error (subbed audit type and session field)

Error in 'stats' command: The eval expression for dynamic field 'eval(if(auditType=TYPE1,SESSIONS,null()))' is invalid. Error='Typechecking failed. '-' only takes numbers.'

I tried replacing the null() with 0 instead to see if that kicked it in but no luck 😞

Thanks for replying 🙂 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From the error message it looks like your real field names have "-" in. If this is the case, enclose the field name in single quotes

| multisearch
| stats dc(eval(if('auditType'="TYPE1",'SESSIONS',null()))) as Starts dc(eval(if('auditType'="TYPE2",'SESSIONS',null()))) as Ends by 'auditType'
0 Karma

Megz
Explorer

Hi @ITWhisperer 

This works for doing the counting! Thank you so much

The issue now is calculating the % as there are null values in the table. I tried adding in a where clause to the end specifying where Starts>0 and Completions>0 but this doesn't return any results.

p.s. I know the completions are more than the starts just now as this is in a testing environment.

Megz_0-1652874813903.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| multisearch
| stats dc(eval(if('auditType'="TYPE1",'SESSIONS',null()))) as Starts dc(eval(if('auditType'="TYPE2",'SESSIONS',null()))) as Ends
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...