Splunk Search

How to create an alert for when the VPN goes down but only when the drop lasts more than 1 minute?

splunkcol
Builder

Hi

I need to create an alert for when the VPN goes down but only when the drop lasts more than 1 minute.

I would appreciate your help

Right now I have the alert set to report any down events and then manually check which ones last longer than 1 minute.

index=paloalto |search EventID=tunnel-status-down OR EventID=tunnel-status-up

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My first reply would not return results if the VPN was not down for more than a minute - I believe that's the expected scenario.  Then the alert just has to be configured to trigger when the search returns results - meaning the the VPN has been down for at least one minute.

My answer also assumed events would be in reverse time order, which is the default for Splunk searches.  Since your screenshot shows that's not the case, here is an updated search.

index=paloalto EventID=tunnel-status-down OR EventID=tunnel-status-up
| sort - _time
| dedup EventID Object
| where (EventID=tunnel-status-down AND _time < relative_time(now(),"-1m"))
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Look for where the last event is a status-down and it's been more than a minute since then.

index=paloalto |search EventID=tunnel-status-down OR EventID=tunnel-status-up
| dedup EventID
---

splunkcol
Builder

Hello, it did not bring me results.

This is the result when I only filter by the EventIDs, how can I calculate the time between the first down and the next up?

splunkcol_0-1652111461289.png

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My first reply would not return results if the VPN was not down for more than a minute - I believe that's the expected scenario.  Then the alert just has to be configured to trigger when the search returns results - meaning the the VPN has been down for at least one minute.

My answer also assumed events would be in reverse time order, which is the default for Splunk searches.  Since your screenshot shows that's not the case, here is an updated search.

index=paloalto EventID=tunnel-status-down OR EventID=tunnel-status-up
| sort - _time
| dedup EventID Object
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...