Splunk Search

How to create a table of latest event when events have same timestamp?

mistydennis
Communicator

Hello Splunkers - I am struggling to create a table that shows distinct events that sometimes have the same timestamp:

_time vulnerability asset ipAddress vendor cvssScore lastFound supportContact
2022-05-12 05:23:24 CVE-2022-1234 host1 ip1 vendor1 score1 2022-05-12 support1
2022-05-12 05:23:24 CVE-2021-5678 host2 ip2 vendor2 score2 2022-05-12 support2
2022-05-12 05:23:24 CVE-2016-1234 host3 ip3 vendor3 score3 2022-05-12 support3

I can't find the right way to search these events so that all distinct events show. Based on one of the many answers I read here, I've tried using eventstats, but it's not working as I'd hoped. Here's the query:

| eventstats latest(_time) as lastFound | where lastFound=_time
| table _time, vulnerability, asset, ipAddress, vendor, cvssScore, lastFound, supportContact

When I run this I get a table with the latest events by _time, but it does not take into account that there are different values in the other fields. So instead of the 5,000 events I'm expecting, I get a few hundred.

_time vulnerability asset ipAddress vendor cvssScore lastFound supportContact
2022-05-12 05:23:24 CVE-2022-1234 host1 ip1 vendor1 score1 lastFoundTime support1

What am I doing wrong?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your eventstats is not taking the different values of the fields into account

| eventstats latest(_time) as lastFound by vulnerability, asset, ipAddress, vendor, cvssScore, supportContact
| where lastFound=_time
| table _time, vulnerability, asset, ipAddress, vendor, cvssScore, lastFound, supportContact

View solution in original post

mistydennis
Communicator

That did the trick! I had a feeling I was missing something basic, thank you very much!  

Can you tell me the difference between using eventstats latest vs. stats latest in this particular case? I can see that it adjusts the number of events I receive, but I'm not sure why.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Eventstats will add fields to the events in the pipeline without removing any events - stats will replace all the events in the pipeline with events with the aggregated values.

mistydennis
Communicator

Makes sense, thanks again!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your eventstats is not taking the different values of the fields into account

| eventstats latest(_time) as lastFound by vulnerability, asset, ipAddress, vendor, cvssScore, supportContact
| where lastFound=_time
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...