Splunk Search

How to create a scatter chart over time and duration, with a line for max duration?

Chinmai
Explorer

Hello Guys,

I have a requirement where I need to create a scatter chart of tickets. I need to have a ticket created time on the x-axis, duration in the y-axis (duration=now()-ticket_created_time).

whenever a ticket reaches it max duration, ticket should disappear. For that, we need to have a line for max duration.

Can anyone please help me in this?

Many Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It occurs to me that your requirement is .... a less than useful selection for a visualization.

All the points on the "scatterplot" are always going to be along a straight line. (In practice it may "jig" a little, but in reality it's mathematically straight.) If your max duration is (for example) 20 days, then the far left point possible is 19 days ago, and the left edge and top edge of the chart both represent a ticket aged 20 days. Basically, duration and start date/time are the same measurement, so a graph that compares them is a waste of electrons.

Here's a run-anywhere code to generate random test data and show you a graph, assuming that your max duration was 20 days.

| makeresults count=100 | eval timeago=(random()% 1000) | eval timeago=1.6*timeago*timeago+ (random()% 10000)| eval _time = _time-timeago | bin _time  span=6h | table _time | eval duration=round((now()-_time)/86400,2) | timechart avg(duration) span=12h
0 Karma

Chinmai
Explorer

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. Assume that is a 24 hrly chart, with x-axis showing last 24 hrs with span=1hr and max duration as 8hrs, then what would be the search query?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...