Splunk Search

How to create a more efficient sitimechart for distinct count?

pr0n
Explorer

When using index=blah | sitimechart dc(field1) by field2 It saves every single element for field1 concatenated into a new field called psrsvd_vm_field1. For me this makes for an insanely inefficient summary index with millions and millions of useless entries in the psrsvd_vm_field1 field. How can I streamline this so that it doesn't store all that information and have to sort through it every time I chart the summarized data.

0 Karma
1 Solution

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @pr0n,

If you're just looking to store the distinct count without the detailed multi-value, then all you have to do is save a timechart into a summary index using | collect instead of using sitimechart.

Cheers,
David

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @pr0n,

If you're just looking to store the distinct count without the detailed multi-value, then all you have to do is save a timechart into a summary index using | collect instead of using sitimechart.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

pr0n
Explorer

How do I timechart the summary? My understanding is I need sitimechart to prepare data for proper timechart once it's summarized.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Well it depends on what you're trying to achieve, because if you need to be able to run a dc over any time span then you will need that inefficient mv field. But if you're only interested in keeping a specific time interval in your summary then going for the results of a timechart would do the trick for you.
It'll only save _time and dc value instead of saving _time, dcand all values.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...