Splunk Search

How to create a line graph where for each day, it displays the latest time?

alanxu
Communicator

Hello,

I extracted the time with the variable TIME. I am trying to create a line graph where it shows the latest time. My search right now is

host=... source=... | timechart max(TIME) by Date

However, my y-axis' values are odd. It goes from 7,000 to 10,000, but the x-axis is correct with the dates.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Assuming that TIME is actually duration, you can use the tostring to convert to seconds like this:

host=... source= | eval DURATION=tostring(TIME,"duration") | timechart max(DURATION) by Date

alanxu
Communicator

When I do verbose events show up but no visualizations.

0 Karma

alanxu
Communicator

I dont get any results with your line. When I remove timechart there is events. But once I add timechart max(duration) by date nothing vcomes up

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

In What format you're extracting the TIME value? Can you run something like this and share result?

host=... source=... | head 1 | table TIME

alanxu
Communicator

Its really odd that the table is perfect, but the line graph is always wrong

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

It could be because you're plotting string values in Y-axis. You want to plot the max time of the day in HH:MM:SS format for each day (last 7 day)?

alanxu
Communicator

Oh they are string values?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I would need your full current query to confirm the same..

alanxu
Communicator

I can send you a picture of the table that comes up

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

That will work too. somesh.soni@gmail.com

alanxu
Communicator

Look at the second email instead

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes, that's the work around, instead of HH:MM:SS in string format, we can convert it to HH.MM (HH dot MM) i.e. decimal value which can be plotted . I know it would not look good for Tables but decent work around for graphs. Do you intent to put this in dashboard??

If this workaround is acceptable to you, I can tell the option to convert your already existing TIME field to decimal value.

0 Karma

alanxu
Communicator

Instead of _time cant I just use TIME?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Your TIME is again a string right? So, to get a decimal out of it OR to convert it to decimal, you can try something like this

| eval TIME=tonumber(replace(TIME ,"^(\d+):(\d+)",\1.\2")) | timechart max(TIME) as TIME by Date
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try query like this and let me know if TIME and TIME_decimal are similar (e.g. 02:47:04 will show as 2.47)

your current search giving your _time Date TIME fields | eval TIME_decimal=tonumber(replace(TIME,"(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1.\2")) | table _time TIME TIME_decimal
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

And if this looks correct try this

your current search giving your _time Date TIME fields | eval TIME_decimal=tonumber(replace(TIME,"(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1.\2")) | timechart max(TIME_decimal) as TIME by Date
0 Karma

alanxu
Communicator

yeah into a dashboard. But I feel the values are offf.. IF you look at the email I sent you the values should be like 2.3 1.5 if anything.. But isntead I am get nines

0 Karma

alanxu
Communicator

sent the picture!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

As suspected, there are string values (propably output of command like | eval TIME=strftime(_time ,"%H:%M:%S") . The workaround that you can try would be like this

| eval TIME=tonumber(strftime(_time ,"%H.%M")) | timechart max(TIME) as TIME by Date 

alanxu
Communicator

I am trying to have..
y-axis have a range of times
x-axis have dates

then it will be plotting the latest time for each date.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...