Splunk Search

How to create a chart using multiple fields grouped by location

ellenbytech
Explorer

I have 6 fields (Ones, Fives, ..., Hundreds). I want to view a chart of the number of bills of each type submitted over the course of the month. I want to be able to compare the frequency of each type of bill in relation to each other on one column graph. However, the fields I tagged only show a specific value rather than a range of them.

I created a tag for each bill (bill_type_ones, bill_type_fives, etc.) For example, my tag bill_type_twentiesonly counts values where the field Twenties= 0 so when I chart count by tag, it doesn't show the whole range of values. It actually just shows me the opposite of what I want. Is it possible to set up a tag or some other function that will count any number greater than 0?

From what I read on tags it looks like it is only possible to tag field-value pairs rather than field- value ranges.

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You really should delete those tags and set them up correctly.

However, you probably don't actually want the number of events with Twenties, you want the number of Twenties, so the tags really aren't doing you any good.

Try this -

Your search that returns the relevant event records
| bin _time span=1d
| stats sum(Ones) as Ones, sum(Fives) as Fives , ... sum(Hundreds) as Hundreds by _time
| untable _time BillType BillCount
| timechart span=1d sum(BillCount) as BillCount by BillType

View solution in original post

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You really should delete those tags and set them up correctly.

However, you probably don't actually want the number of events with Twenties, you want the number of Twenties, so the tags really aren't doing you any good.

Try this -

| bin _time span=1d
| stats sum(Ones) as Ones, sum(Fives) as Fives , ... sum(Hundreds) as Hundreds by _time
| untable _time BillType BillCount
| timechart span=1d sum(BillCount) as BillCount by BillType

ellenbytech
Explorer

Thank you so much! In the mean time I was searching by using NOT tag::*twenties and summing the count of non-zero events that way but that didn't let me have the data on each type of bill to be displayed on one chart. From here I think I'll be able to divide it by location instead of time myself.

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Absolutely!

There are a couple of different tricks if you wanted to use this kind of code with multiple levels of breakdown, like _time and Location. I'll just give you one that you can slot into the above method.

| bin _time span=1d
 | stats sum(Ones) as Ones, sum(Fives) as Fives , ... sum(Hundreds) as Hundreds by _time Location
 | eval combo = "_time="._time." Location=".Location
 | untable combo BillType BillCount
 | rex field=combo "_time=(?<_time>\d+)"
 | rex field=combo "Location=(?<Location>[^$]+)"
 | fields - combo

You now have one record with the BillCount for each BillType at each Location and _time, that you can feed to whatever visualization you'd like.

For instance, you could do this if you wanted to look at only the Hundreds across _time by Location

| where BillType="Hundreds"
| timechart span=1d sum(BillCount) by Location

Or if you wanted to see the Hundreds and Twenties, you could create a synthetic series name like this...

| where BillType="Hundreds" OR BillType="Twenties"
| eval Location = Location." - ".BillType
| timechart span=1d sum(BillCount) by Location
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Could you provide your current search, current output and corresponding expected output?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...