Splunk Search

How to create a chart to show successful or failed installations for components in my sample data?

saisree

hi

I have total 7 components installed. 3 have failed to install and 4 are successfully installed... I want to take a pie chart like how much time was taken for each components whether it's installed successfully or failed. i want to show both in a pie chart or any other charts. I have my sample data below. Please provide some ideas to solve this.

I tried with this search:

source="status log1.txt" |chart avg(_time) over result by components 

am getting x-axis as mill-nano-sec and y-axis as components results... and am not getting a pie chart

2015-02-21 03:17:10 , pid=12,technology=JAVA, result="successfully installed"
2015-02-21 03:35:10 , pid=13,technology=Coherence, result="successfully installed"
2015-02-21 03:56:10 , pid=14,technology=Nosql, result="failed to installed"
2015-02-21 04:09:10 , pid=15,technology=splunk, result="successfully installed"
2015-02-21 04:13:10 , pid=16,technology=weblogic,result="successfully installed"
2015-02-21 04:24:10 , pid=17,technology=OEP, result="failed to installed"
2015-02-21 04:29:10 , pid=18,technology=kazzing, result="successfully installed"
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can change the appearance with the symbols at the top left of the chart, below "Events", "Patterns", "Statistics" and "Visualization". The one on the left selects the type of your chart and the one on the right gives you formatting options, so you should be able to change your chart to a pie chart with the left button.

I don't think your search as it is is a good basis for a pie chart though - a pie chart is useful to compare the relation of values to each other (e.g. to see the composition of your results by category), but time as continuous data is not something I'd recommend a pie chart for (except that you could "bucket" your time, but that is something else). If my guess what you are lookin for is correct, what you want to do is a search like this (assuming your fields are "technology" and "result" like you posted in your log):

source="status log1.txt" | chart count(technology) by result

This gives you the number (and resulting percentage) of successful and failed installs for the timeframe you set your search to. If this is generally in the direction of what you want, you should think about how to deal with multiple installs of the same technology (which are not distinguished with this basic search right now), and whether the drilldown to see what failed and what succeeded is sophisticated enough for you as it is.

View solution in original post

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can change the appearance with the symbols at the top left of the chart, below "Events", "Patterns", "Statistics" and "Visualization". The one on the left selects the type of your chart and the one on the right gives you formatting options, so you should be able to change your chart to a pie chart with the left button.

I don't think your search as it is is a good basis for a pie chart though - a pie chart is useful to compare the relation of values to each other (e.g. to see the composition of your results by category), but time as continuous data is not something I'd recommend a pie chart for (except that you could "bucket" your time, but that is something else). If my guess what you are lookin for is correct, what you want to do is a search like this (assuming your fields are "technology" and "result" like you posted in your log):

source="status log1.txt" | chart count(technology) by result

This gives you the number (and resulting percentage) of successful and failed installs for the timeframe you set your search to. If this is generally in the direction of what you want, you should think about how to deal with multiple installs of the same technology (which are not distinguished with this basic search right now), and whether the drilldown to see what failed and what succeeded is sophisticated enough for you as it is.

saisree

Thank u for u r response ... i want to show in graph which technology is successfully installed and which one failed to install with any chart

Thank u

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The search I posted should be good to go with a pie chart. When you click on the pieces of that pie chart, it shows you which components were successful (and which weren't).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...