Splunk Search

How to create Group events based off a time and an ID?

add53
Engager

I'm fairly new to Splunk and I am having some trouble grouping somethings they way I want

I have some data which all have a certain ID and a multitude of other values. I want to be able to group this data if they have the same ID, but only group them in a maximum time interval of 24 hours. This I figured out pretty easily, however, the problem is I would also like to see the actual duration of events. 

For example, say I have 10 or so events that all have the same ID and they occur within a 5 minute period, I'd want to group them together. I'd also like to be able to group 10 or so events that have the same ID and occur within a 23 hour period. 

I've tried using bins, which groups them properly, but then it gives them all the exact same time, so I don't know how to find the exact duration. I've also tried using time charts and transactions with poor results.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| bin span=24h _time as time_bucket
| stats min(_time) as earliest max(_time) as latest by time_bucket id
| eval duration = latest - earliest

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| bin span=24h _time as time_bucket
| stats min(_time) as earliest max(_time) as latest by time_bucket id
| eval duration = latest - earliest

add53
Engager

That worked great, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...