Splunk Search

How to count the occurrence of a field/string per transaction for events grouped with the transaction command?

Aftab_alam
Explorer

I have custom log file in which we all logging various activities in a transaction context (correlation ID). In this particular case, we have a Rest Search to get price detail. Service accept 1 or more (can go to several thousand) SKUs and return price either from cache, or DB. log is generated for each SKU.

I have grouped all events using transaction command using the CorrelationId field. How do I count the number of cache hit or miss perc all.

Tried below, but this did not give me the answer:

index=pii sourcetype=pii:runway:service-log host=price-PriceService-prod* | transaction CorrelationId maxspan=15s | stats count(eval(SkuPriceCache="Hit")), count(eval(SkuPriceCache="Miss")) by CorrelationId

I can see eventocunt over 1000, but cachehit or miss is never more than 10 in this case.

1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this?

index=pii sourcetype=pii:runway:service-log host=price-PriceService-prod* 
| eval hit=if(SkuPriceCache="Hit",1,hit) 
| eval miss=if(SkuPriceCache="Miss",1,miss)
| transaction CorrelationId maxspan=15s 
| stats count(hit) count(miss) by CorrelationId

Of maybe like this:

| eval hit=if(match(_raw,".*Hit.*"),1,hit) 
| eval miss=if(match(_raw",".*Miss.*"),1,miss)

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

index=pii sourcetype=pii:runway:service-log host=price-PriceService-prod* | chart count over  SkuPriceCache by CorrelationId

*OR*

index=pii sourcetype=pii:runway:service-log host=price-PriceService-prod* | chart dc(CorrelationId)  as dc over  SkuPriceCache by CorrelationId | fields - dc
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this?

| eval hit=if(SkuPriceCache="Hit",1,hit) 
| eval miss=if(SkuPriceCache="Miss",1,miss)

Of maybe like this:

| eval hit=if(match(_raw,".*Hit.*"),1,hit) 
| eval miss=if(match(_raw",".*Miss.*"),1,miss)

Aftab_alam
Explorer

I used transaction CorrelationID

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Could you please provide a sample event or two, and/or a sample of the output of the search you already have?

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...